Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haversack ID please

Ypres1915

Hi guys,

I picked this up recently but have no idea what it's intended use was. It is about 1cm wider than the standard P08 haversack. The rear straps are also not angled to wear on braces, so it appears that it was only for a shoulder strap. Internally divided as photographed. I thought perhaps a medical haversack but the lack of a red cross leads me to believe there must be another use for it. An oddball I'm hoping someone may have some information on?

Thanks,

Ypres 

bag2.jpg

bag3.jpg

bag4.jpg

bag5.jpg

bag6.jpg

bag7.jpg

bag1.jpg

Well I would be prepared to say I've never seen it's kind before and I don't see anything similar on the Karkee Web.

David 

Could it be Portuguese or Belgian? I have a 1917 Portuguese Haversack (not the same as this) made by ME Co 1917 .

Just a thought.

Mark

The carry handle on the top looks very much like the WWII vintage 1937 Pattern officer's valise/briefcase, but those have a single strap closure

Is the stamp definitely 1917 - if I squint it looks a bit like 1947.

Chris

Are the internal dividers joined with a central vertical seam to form a cross-shaped partition, or are they simply two separate half-width pockets mounted diagonally opposite to each other?

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I believe the date is definitely 1917. I think the Broad Arrow would identify it as issued to British or Commonwealth forces. The divider is joined centrally and attached to the body of the pack in the middle and at the ends on opposite sides. It creates four separate compartments ... two of which are rectangular and two are almost an L-shape ??? I have a similar pack, made from coarse fabric with a similar configuration. I'll dig it out and post a few photos???

Ypres

Edited by Ypres1915

I owned that haversack for years and no one was ever able to identify it. While it doesn't show up very well in these photos, there is a faint "RF" stamped below the MECO. 1917

IMG_1679.JPG

• 11 months later...
On 27/05/2018 at 20:09, Ypres1915 said:

I have a similar pack, made from coarse fabric with a similar configuration. I'll dig it out and post a few photos???

Hi guys,

I managed to find a photo of the other bag I have that is similar. This one also has a handle to the top of the flap. Another mystery?? If anyone has any information on either pack please let me know.

Thanks,

Ypres1915

BAG.jpg

Clearly special purpose of some kind and very possiblyi for spares and accessories, maybe for something such as the Hotchkiss gun, telegraph equipment, etc.