Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lots of Help Required Please.

Dazscuba

I am looking for a lot of help from the experts out there if possible? On the MIC card are a number of things I don’t understand.

1) what does that mean. Does it mean he got a General Service Medal later in his service?

2) what does these numbers mean?

3) what does these numbers mean.

4) other than Ancestry how can I check for a MM that cannot be found as it says on the MIC?

73D303D8-59A8-4E73-80A9-E0E05F2B715F.jpeg

1) The 1918 General Service Medal - awarded from 1918 onwards where specific medals hasn't been created.

2) An administrative reference - most of these are lost to time

3) An administrative reference - most of these are lost to time

4) At some point someone queried an award of a Military Medal to the man - it doesn't mean it was awarded, just that an enquiry was made regarding one.

Craig

Query 1

My eyes may deceive me -and anyone else - but I think that the manuscript reads:

GSM Clasp Iraq issd [issued] 4/192 [or 3] 4 so he was in Iraq in either 1924 or 1934.

Hope that this helps.

Richard

Thanks for the above, is there anywhere I can find the GSM page to show it has been issued?

If you have Ancestry the page is here:

https://ancstry.me/2ktUlmy

As its Ancestry he is indexed as "O G Mitchinson - Napolionic Wars - service date 1793 -1815," The page is actually for the issue of the 1918 GSM with Iraq clasp, 2nd East Yorks.

Mick.

Edited by MickLeeds

Mick that’s great thanks, so my chap would have possibly been in before the 1st WW???

Can’t find his records just MIC and medals.

Edited by Dazscuba

The GSM medal roll was compiled on the 16th Nov 1923.

Mick.

Mitchinson being on a Napoleonic Medal Roll is just an ancestry thing, they can't comprehend the WO100/G4/414 TNA ref so they've converted it it to WO100/4 and caused havoc.

The lighter coloured blue ink entries ie for GSM, clasp Iraq, the NW/3 ref and the 68/m ref seem to have all been done for his GSM. The NW/3 ref appears on the GSM roll. There seems to be an error with his initial, originally typed in 1924 as a J perhaps? then changed to G. Most of the men on the roll had their medals & clasp issued May/June 1924 but Mitchinson's doesn't seem to have either until 1934. Perhaps becasue they could'nt trace a J Mitcinson?

According to the link provided by justinth the NW/3 ref changed meaning in 1928 and are just surnames M-R. Although it's supposed to relate to WWI & maybe earlier but as the ref is on the medal roll dated 1934 it must have been used post-war as well.

I think he at least believed he was entitled to a MM for services relating to the GSM and not WWI. I've had a quick look through London Gazette with no luck and as they could find no trace of award I doubt there was one.

TEW

Mitchinson being on a Napoleonic Medal Roll is just an ancestry thing, they can't comprehend the WO100/G4/414 TNA ref so they've converted it it to WO100/4 and caused havoc.

I was using the 1911 census the other week and the title was telling me I was looking at a records set to do with Illinois...

Craig

From 1928 the consolidated N.W. file series became the main case file series used by A.G. 4 apart from the War Office main number file series 68/ (which are full War Office registered files rather than branch memoranda like the NW series). The mention of a 68/ series file often indicates a wider discussion on a particular issue or policy.

Edited by Justinth

Thanks for all the above information, would have been great to find even a mention or being put forward for a MM. unfortunately no service record survives on Ancestry. 

Willhave a look on FMP at the libruary next week 

I took a quick gander on FMP and the only record that pops up based on the 2 service numbers is the transcript of his MIC (which you already have).  I can't find any service records that match his regiment...unless he had a hidden middle name that didn't appear on his MIC.

Thanks for looking Buffnut 

it was a fingers crossed guess anyway. 

Always the same when things look interesting you can never go forward lol 

Sadly, I've had the same issue with several of my relatives.  It's particularly hard if they never served in a combat zone because there aren't any medals either...so there's precious little to go on.  

Re-read post #11, service files probably with MOD. Not on the list issued by them but that means little.

TEW

21 hours ago, MickLeeds said:

If you have Ancestry the page is here:

https://ancstry.me/2ktUlmy

As its Ancestry he is indexed as "O G Mitchinson - Napolionic Wars - service date 1793 -1815," The page is actually for the issue of the 1918 GSM with Iraq clasp, 2nd East Yorks.

Mick.

The medal roll shows that the entitlement is the Iraq Clasp

According to Wikipedia, this was awarded to those who satisfied one of the following conditions:

Served at Ramadi or north of a line east and west through Ramadi between 10 December 1919 and 13 June 1920.

Part of an establishment within Iraq between 1 July and 17 November 1920.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Service_Medal_(1918)

I don't thinK post 4 is correct to say that he would have been in Iraq in 1924, or 1934. I think these dates are to do with medal issue.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks ladies and gents appreciated