Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lesrat

Is any kind soul able to shed any light on what my Great Uncle might have done in WWI please.

I have a Great Uncle Richard Green who served in World War One. Unfortunately, the service records of my Green family do not seem to have survived. He was born on the 29th May,1988 and his mother died in 1998. In 1911 he was living with his older sister, Mary Ellen Skelly, in Baird Street, Ancoats, Manchester. He married to Agnes Barstow on the 2nd July, 1913. His son, Richard Sylvester Green was born on the 21st May 1914 in Chorlton on Medlock. They possibly lived at 50 Geoffrey Street, Manchester. His trade was a Packing Case Maker in Manchester.

During WWI Richard Green was a Private in the following regiments:-
Private 75851, Liverpool Regiment;

Private 57186, 86 Coy Labour Corps;

Private 42228 1st Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

I have been by his granddaughter that she has 2 medals for him, the Great War for Civilisation and Victory medal. I would have thought that he might have had more than that.

Medal Richard Green.JPG

28 minutes ago, Lesrat said:

I would have thought that he might have had more than that.

All those men who went to France or other Theatres after 1/1/16 had to be satsfied with that, whether they spent 3 years or 3 months in action. At least the medals were personally identified, unlike the Campaign Stars of WW2.

Charlie

How do you know that he went to France after 1/1/16. I would love to know what the two regiments were doing to get some idea of his movements. Also what the references on his medals card mean. Cheers, Les

2 minutes ago, Lesrat said:

How do you know that he went to France after 1/1/16. I would love to know what the two regiments were doing to get some idea of his movements. Also what the references on his medals card mean. Cheers, Les

If he had landed in France earlier than that he'd have been entitled to a Star with his medal entitlement rather than just British War and Victory Medals.

Craig

On 25/05/2018 at 12:56, Lesrat said:

Private 57186, 86 Coy Labour Corps;

How did you find he was 86th Coy?  - ah, its marked on the Medal Roll.

I see from an old thread here that, in 1917:

21st Inf Lab Coy, Kings Liverpool - became 86th Labour Coy, L.C.(L.C. numbers 51001 - 51600).

So I suspect the hand amended medal roll should read 51186 not 57186. (edit- not that I've found any further records!)

Charlie

Edited by charlie962