Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German soldier's neck-cloth

P.B.

Another recent acquisition I was lucky enough to pick up this week.

This is an M1907 Halstuch (literally "neck-cloth") that was issued to German soldiers for wear with the M1907 field-grey uniform.  It's made of thin dyed cotton, and is a good example of an item that would once have existed in literally millions but which is now very hard to find.  Many examples were presumably used as cleaning rags once they became too worn or dirty (also, it's the not the kind of thing you'd keep as a souvenir or take as a trophy) and in late 1914 it was replaced by the bib-style "halsbinde" which is slightly more common to find today.

This example is marked with the date of "1913", the size "I" (they came in two sizes marked I and II, being smaller and larger respectively) and bears the clothing label of Fusilier Binz who served in the 8th Company of the famous Hannoverian Fusilier Regiment 73.

I got this to complement a 1913 dated M1907 tunic I have, and am very pleased to have picked it up -it was part of the superb Michael Baldwin collection, and featured in the 1914 volume of his "Feldzug" series of books.

All the best

Paul.

neckcloth1.jpg

neckcloth2.jpg

neckclothstamps.jpg

neckclothlabel.jpg

Amazing that this has survived and in pristine condition.

Mike.

Thanks Mikey

It's one of those really niche items that not everyone would want, but if you do want one they're very difficult to find!

All the best

Paul.