Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victor "Featherweight" Slides (magic lantern)

4thGordons

I just acquired 96 "magic lantern" slides. These examples were made by the Victor Animatograph Company of Davenport, Iowa and those that have some printing on them show a patent date of October 5, 1915. The "Featherweight" slides differ from most of my magic lantern slides in that the glass is smaller and thinner and sandwiched within a "card" frame (much like 35mm slides) so while the slide as a whole is the same dimensions as a normal lantern slide, the image area is @1cm all around smaller.

Many of the images on the slides are hand colored and the pictures look a lot like those that appeared in publications like "War Illustrated" etc.

I have done a fair bit of searching on line without much luck looking for a catalogue from which I might identify the images - does anyone know of such?

Quite a number of the slides have dignitaries/generals/commanders portraits mostly without captions but many of the others are early war scenes of soldiers/bomb damage etc. I see no evidence or helmets or gas masks so I supect most date from 1914/15.

I shall try and photograph a few and post them here - if anyone could point me in the direction of a listing/catalogue or expert in these I would appreciate it.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Here are the first five on the pile:German-POW.jpg.5b881af1e13af20bf57ee4cae06eb744.jpg

plane.jpg.c9dcb78b571230f82463d7a884e0d83b.jpg

French-marching.jpg.772c45d76828999154ed7726e86c6bcb.jpg

Admiral.jpg.af8e0cc08e9e9a883afeb5a147f394fc.jpg

French-Planning.jpg

Edited by 4thGordons

Thanks. I thought it was but I wasn't 100%. I have done some sorting - there are 15 other portraits - many of which I do not recognize immediately. I will photograph some.

Thanks again.

Chris

The first and third images seem to be German prisoners in the hands of French troops, though the colorisation in the first one is a bit off, possibly because of the age of the slide. The aircraft is a Maurice Farman Shorthorn, also in French service, and the men in the last image are also French. I would agree, the early part of the war.

Cheers

Martin B