Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexandra, Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment

kelly

Good evening all

Could anyone help me with my research on the 1/5th Alexandra, Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment in particular their movements from 20th April to 30th October 1915

Using Ancestry I input all relevant information and get nothing but 7th, 8th, 9th etc 

Using The Long Long Trail all I get is they were aligned to the 14th which is helpful but again does not yield anything much

Reading The East Yorkshire Regiment in The Great War by Edward Wyrall talks about the 1/4th East Yorkshires to the point where you are actually looking at the action described mirrors what I think are those of APoWOYR, confused I certainly am, especially when one reads they were also known as The Green Howards

Apologies for sounding off a little, but what with a regiment possibly and I use the word loosely using 3 different names I'm at a loss as to know what to think

Can anyone educate me please 

1 hour ago, jonbem said:

Hi and thanks for your input Jon

15 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Kelly,

It is here on Ancestry, or here from the National Archives.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, many thanks, I think I let my frustration get the better of me

• 2 years later...

Hi all, where can I find information on the 7th BTY Green Howards in WW2? Looking for more information on family member. 

Stanley Coleman - Truck Driver Service numbe r # 4392252 

Stanley Coleman.JPG

Chris

Your query is outwith the parameters of this forum.

I suggest you post a query here: 

http://ww2talk.com/index.php

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

My Grandfather served with the 5th Batt. The prefix of 1 denotes that it was the 1st ‘Kitchener’ or ‘Service’ draft of the Green Howard’s subsequent drafts were then preceded by its number, as far as I’m aware...The war diary for 5th Service Battalion is on the NA site, I used it to plot grandads ‘walk/ride’ around France and Belgium after he was gassed then shot by those Germanic types in the opposite trench....

Just realised OP was looking for WW2 info.....so just ignore my geriatric ramblings.....

There is a very fine memorial tablet to a Green Howard officer in Colerne’s delightful St John the Baptist church.  I’m not sure but I THINK the officer commemorated was 1/5th battalion?

6 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

There is a very fine memorial tablet to a Green Howard officer in Colerne’s delightful St John the Baptist church.  I’m not sure but I THINK the officer commemorated was 1/5th battalion?

Yes, the 1st and 2nd Batt. were the Regular Batts. supplemented by a 3rd(Reserve) Batt. The 4th and 5th Batts. were 'Territorial Force' with 1st line being Regular army Reserves hence 1/4th Batt and 1/5th Batt, with 2nd designated Home Defence hence 2/4th and 2/5th Batts. After them were the Service Batts. of '3 Year or Duration men' numbered 6-13 as they were 'Kitchener New Army' Batts. 14/15th Batt were reserves which were dispensed with during 1916 I believe. There was also a number of Labour and Agricultural units but I have little knowledge of those. So whenever the 5th Batt. is mentioned it refers to the 1/5th or 'Territorial Reserve' Batt. of the Regiment. Known to the unit as 5th Battalion (Alexander Princess of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire) or the Nineteenth Regiment of Foot (XIX) they formerly wore Scarlet uniforms with Green facings and 'owned' by Col Howard, hence the 'Green Howards. As opposed to the other Howard Regiment who wore Buff Facings, hence the 'Buffs'. You can see from the names and nicknames that Alexander Princess of Wales Own, XIXth Regiment of Foot, aka the 'Green Howards' all of which appear in the cap badge of the Regiment....I know.....I do go on don't I but 'Once a Howard always a Howard'......

On 02/04/2021 at 13:32, BullerTurner said:

I seem to know a lot of Green Howards!  They do get around...

Bit like you long range snipers.....:thumbsup:

The Royal Regiment is a big firm, ex-XIX.  If I had a fiver for ever Gunner I’ve been told “Oh you must know him, he’s in the Royal Artillery...”, I’d be a wealthy man...The lord alone knows what it was like for ex-Gunners in 1920, with over 550000 on the strength!