Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Officer Ostarde 15th Infantry Regiment

Liz in Eastbourne

I would like to find out the rank of a German officer called Ostarde in the 15th Infantry Regiment (Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Friedrich der Niederlande (2. Westfälisches).  In December 1914 they were opposite the Scots Guards near Fromelles. Please can anyone  check a German source for this information?

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne
Trying unsuccessfully to adjust font size.

Hello Liz!

I couldn´t find a Ostarde in the 1914 ranklist. There was no soldier with that name in the casualty lists or in the ranklist of honour. Even today no family with that name is listed in Germany.

Are you sure with the spelling of the name?

Hello Andy,

No, I am not sure.  I had wondered if it was correct as I could not find any instance of it by Googling. It occurs in an old typescript of a letter sent by the officer to the family of a man who died of wounds in 1914 and they probably mis-transcribed his handwriting.  I am not sure if they have the original now but will try again.  If as I suspect they haven't, it's a matter of guessing what could have been mistaken for 'Ostarde' by an English person reading a German signature...You didn't notice anything in the list, by any chance?!

Thank you for checking, and it's useful to know the name is almost certainly wrong.

Liz

Hello Liz!

Right. That name is absolutely unknown in Germany. We might see the letter.

Here are the ranklists of IR15

#1: 1914

#2 and 3: Ranklist of honour

IMG_20180524_172932.jpg

IMG_20180524_173117.jpg

IMG_20180524_173140.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Add:

There was a Hauptmann d.R. (Captain of the reserve), named "Ost". He served with Inf.Rgt.15, but he was wounded Dec. 8, 1914 near Limanowa and died Dec.,12, 1914. in Res.Inf.Rgt. 218

But that was at the Eastern Front. He was not mentioned in the ranklists, because he was a reserve-officer.

Edited by The Prussian

Thank you very much, Andy. 

I appreciate your help in posting the lists. It's hard to imagine any of the names  being misinterpreted as Ostarde but it's also  hard to be sure.  A capital G seems to look quite like an Os but that gets us nowhere!

I imagine him as above the rank of Leutnant because of the initiative he took in writing direct to the British relatives, but of course I could be wrong.   

No, it can't be Ost, as this was late December as well as the wrong place. 

I suspect without further info I'm stuck.

Liz

Like I said, Liz, it´s better to show the letter. Maybe we can read it better.

If he was a Reserve-Officer, he was not mentioned in the ranklist.