Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Overseas Marriage

andalucia

Hi All

Not sure if this is the correct place for this?

OK, I am looking for two people who married in France in the early 1920s. They were both British and had served in the war, He in the army and she as a nurse

I found their marriage listed as taking place in Nice, France, British Armed Forces And Overseas Banns And Marriages, between 1921-1925.

The thing is. He had left the Army by 1919 and had gone back to France to live and work in music (nothing military) . I have no idea if she was still an Army nurse by the 1920s?

My question basically is why are they listed on the armed forces marriages? Would she be entitled to an Army marriage? would he be as an ex soldier? I am just a bit confused as to why they are listed as I know for certain that he was not involved in any service after early 1919.?

Any clues

Ant

Edited by andalucia

6 minutes ago, andalucia said:

He had left the Army by 1919

When you say 'left', could he have been 'Transferred to the Reserve' ?

Edited by charlie962

I have no idea about that Charlie. 

He was a performer and he was working in France from mid 1919 right through the 1920s. It is possible he was a reserve.

Just now, andalucia said:

I have no idea

It will sometimes be noted on Medal Roll or MIC or , of course if they survive, Service Papers.

1 hour ago, andalucia said:

Hi All

Not sure if this is the correct place for this?

OK, I am looking for two people who married in France in the early 1920s. They were both British and had served in the war, He in the army and she as a nurse

I found their marriage listed as taking place in Nice, France, British Armed Forces And Overseas Banns And Marriages, between 1921-1925.

The thing is. He had left the Army by 1919 and had gone back to France to live and work in music (nothing military) . I have no idea if she was still an Army nurse by the 1920s?

My question basically is why are they listed on the armed forces marriages? Would she be entitled to an Army marriage? would he be as an ex soldier? I am just a bit confused as to why they are listed as I know for certain that he was not involved in any service after early 1919.?

Any clues

Ant

The list is inclusive British Armed Forces And Overseas Banns And Marriages - i.e. it is for all overseas marriages, forces or otherwise.

"Findmypast has pulled together sources from the General Register Office (GRO) and The National Archives (TNA) to create this extensive collection of British armed forces members and civilians married overseas and at sea. A full list of sources is provided below"

Craig

Hi,

8 hours ago, andalucia said:

With the associated reference to marriage that I guess is shown, you should be able to get a 'copy' certificate from the GRO. I think that 'overseas' records can be a bit difficult to order online, as the application form isn't really conducive - I may be wrong though. There are some 'contact us' details here if any clarification/help were to be needed.  

Regards

Chris