Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11 th Bn. Sherwood Foresters

hazelclark

Am researching this officer who was wounded and died in hospital at the end of November 1918. He appears to have the MC and Bar, the Croix de Guerre and was MID.  Can anyone suggest reading material on the 11th Sherwood Foresters?  I know they served in France and Italy, and were back in France when Basil was wounded. Looks like he was adjutant when he was wounded.

Have searched the Forum to no avail but do have the War Diaries.

Thanks,

Hazel C.

Hi Hazel,

There is a stained glass window commemorating Basil William Bird in Holy Trinity Church, Shirebrook, Derbyshire, which, if memory serves me right, bears a likeness of him. Although I haven't got a copy of the photo to hand being at work at the moment, I will post a photo of it here for you later on today. If you would like a higher resolution copy of the photo as well, feel free to PM me your email address.

Kind regards

Rich

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped so much.  I really appreciated it.

I have found a few things about various other Bns. But can’t find reading material on the 11th.

Thanks again,

Hazel

Hi Hazel,

As promised, this is the stained glass window remembering Basil William Bird. It bears a likeness of him, in the guise of St. George.

Richard

War Memorials AP 041.jpg

War Memorials AP 045.jpg

• 4 months later...

There is a limited edition, 100 Copies, of an OR's life with the 11th Sherwood Foresters which continues after he was commissioned into the KRRC in 1917 and on into his time with the Army in Germany after the war, not sure it would help though. If you think it would let me know. He did not arrive in France until July 1916.

Andy

Thanks Andy but I don’t know that would add much unless it specifically mentions Basil. He had a few mentions in the War Diaries and in the “Men of the Greenwood”.  There is another book that I have been unable to get my hands on though, but the name escapes me this minute, and I am running out the door as I write this.  I did start a thread when I was looking for it some time back and someone was kind enough to send me the Greenwood book by email. 

Thanks again

Hazel

I will have a look for you Hazel, there are a good few officers mentioned.

Andy

Thanks Barbara.  I had seen the LLT bit but not the other.

Hazel

Sorry Hazel, no mention of Bird.

Andy

Thanks so much for looking Andy. I appreciate it.

Hazel