Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miltary Medal to 3rd Battalion Scots Guards

claymore123

Hello I am hoping a forum member can provide some further details on 12439 Pte Frederick Robert Oldman Scots Guards, later remustered as 927 Guards Machine Gun Regiment who was awarded the MM on LG # 29827 page 11142 dated 16 Nov 16. The MM is named to him in the 3rd battalion.

He enlisted on 30 Nov 1914 at Windsor into the 3rd Battalion (Reserve) Scots Guards and is recorded as a Fisherman from Grimsby. On  9 Sept 16 he transferred into the Guards Machine Gun Battalion before being discharged on 5 Apr 19. In later life he appears to have been a member of the Police "Specials".according to the 1939 register. In addition to the MM he was awarded the 1914/15 trio all named as "12439 Pte S. Guards"

i would be keen to know if anyone can confirm what he won his MM for? I am assuming it might have been for the Somme Offensive, maybe the Battle of Flers-Courcelette or perhaps Morval but I am not sure. Any assistance would be most welcome. 

Thanks

Hi

Sorry I can't be specific about what he won his MM for, however I wanted to let you know that the he is listed in the book "For Bravery in the Field: Great War British Army Recipients of the Military Medal 1914-1920" as serving in the 2nd Scots Guards at the time. The entry reads:

OLDMAN Frederick Robert MM Pte 12439 2nd Scots Guards

Regards

LIT

He is mentioned in the Routine Orders in the WD of Guards Div HQ, Adjutant & Quarter-Master General, under Honours and Rewards. (WO 1197/2 p 159/672 on Ancestry). The Routine Order is dated 26/09/1916 and confirms 2 Scots Guards. I could not see any citations, the best chance is in the local papers of where he was from or where his NOK lived. 

Brian

LIT thanks I should have checked that first on Ancestry and I have now got his service papers which confirms a transfer to the 2nd battalion. Brian thanks will try to find the page you refer to in the WD's.

Iain

there is a list on British medal forum with loads of mm details. Worth checking

The few details I have on him come from the Grimsby Absent Voters list of 1919

OLDMAN, Frederick Robert
28 Eleanor Street
927 Pte., 4 Batt. Guards, M.G.R.

Edited by temptage

• 4 weeks later...