Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/8th Battalion, The Lancashire Fusiliers - Oct 1917

Ian N Megson

Hi.

Just wondering, anyone any ideas where the 2/8th Battalion would be in action around the first 2 weeks of October 1917 please ?

Private Charles Jubb from Batley was KIA  9th October 1917 and was wondering if they were anywhere near my Grandfather who was just to the east of Monchy le Preaux.

Any help, as always, would be much appreciated

Thank you

2/8th Lancs, part of 66 Div, on 9th October attacked through what is now Tyne Cot cemetery, so fairly sure he was kia there. 

Peter

Hi.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I understand that the 9th October was the first day of the battle of Poelcapelle (3rd Battle of Ypres ?)

I thought my grandfather was at Monchy le Preux (that turned out to be Nov 1917) but when I looked into it he was in the 2nd Battalion, Duke of Wellingtons who were in support of the 2nd Battn. Lancs Fusiliers and the 2nd Battn. Essex regiment. These 3 along battalions along with the Ist Battn. Kings Own Royal Lancs formed the 12th Brigade who were part of the 4th Div and who all saw action at Poelcapelle on the 9th October 1917.......Can ou confirm this please.

Also where would the 2/8th Lancs, as part of 66 Division, be on the same day, probably fighting along side the 12th Div ??  on the left or the right

Anyhelp on trying to put the 12th Div and 66 Div into perspective would be much appreciated.

Thank you

INM

Sorry I must correct my mistake (on a list "East" is missing from 2/8 Lancs Fus, hence the reference to 66 Div). You are correct in that 2/8th Lancs and the 2nd Duke of Wellington's were in 4 Div, at the Battle of Poelcappelle, 9th October. This was about 2 miles north of where 66 Div were attacking.

However on that date the 12 Div were defending Monchy le Preux, which is many miles to the south, in France, near Arras. This Div did not spend any time in Belgium (apart from a little in 1915).

Not sure if this helps, Peter

Hi

Thanks for that....I made an error too,  I talked about 12th Division and I meant 12th Brigade in my penultimate sentence

Hopefully, you can put me straight on all this.....

Charles Jubb was in the 2/8th Btn, East Lancs Fusiliers, which were part of the 66th Div

My Grandfather was in 2nd Btn Duke of Wellingtons, which were part of the 12th Brigade  (4th Division.)

Both the 4th Division and 66th Division were active on the 9th October 1917 on the first day of The Battle for Poelcapelle.

Would you know what Brigade the 2/8th Btn, East Lancs Fusiliers were in please ? as part of the 66 Division

and how far apart would they be on that front on the 9th October. ?

Is it possible to access war diaries for the 2/8th Btn East Lancs ?

My Grandfather went on to be seriously wounded at Monchly Le Preux on the 23rd November 1917 and was discharged in Feb 1918

Many thanks

INM

To clarify.....Pte 38783 Charles Jubb was in 2/8 Lancashire Fusiliers (not East Lancs) which was 197 Brigade, 66 Div. On 9 Oct attacked through what is now Tyne Cot. I do have a copy of the war diary for this battalion, so if you send me a PM with your email address I'll send a copy over. Or, you can get a copy on-line from National Archives for £3.50 ref WO 95/3136.

2nd Duke of Wellingtons in 4th Div, at Poelcappelle on this day (about 3 miles north of 66 Div. You can get the war diary from NA, £3.50, ref WO 1508.

Hope this helps, Peter

HI.

Thats lovely, thanks for me putting me straight...

How so I send you a PM please ?

A copy of the war diary for the time around the 9th would be much appreciated.

KInd regards

INM

Hello.

Do you know how many casualties (numbers) were sustained by the 2/8 Btn on the 9th October 1917 please ?

Thanks

INM