Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Special constabulary medal great war 1914-18

trench whistle

Got this medal last week. Looking it up it seems it was for three years unpaid duties during wartime. I wondered if anything else could be found out about the recipient one James W Jefferson. The medal was found in York but I guess that doesn't mean the recipient served in York. 

IMG_20180522_195026.jpg

Normally SCM is awarded for 9 years Service. The exception is for WW1 where 3 years service was awarded providing there had been minimum of 150 police duties. The Great War Clasp signifies this. It is unlikely that he would have any WW1 military service unless he was invalided out of the armed forces early enough to allow 3 years as a Special Constable. There was a James Jefferson form York who served with West Yorkshire Regiment but he was Class Z meaning he continued after the war in reserve service so unlikely to be him.

Thanks for your reply. You have confirmed my thinking that he was unlikely to have served in the forces and the special constabulary, but I thought I would ask incase I had interpreted the award criteria incorrectly. I guess his name is a bit too common to trace him any further. 

Are there any extant medal rolls for the awards of Special Constable Medals? If so, who holds them? 

I ask because I am currently researching the home front in Tonbridge during the war and it would help me to identify Tonbridge men who served in this way.

Regards,

Dave Swarbrick