Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

sawdoc34

VTC bayonet

sawdoc34

Hello chaps,

Been a while since I have posted but managed to find a VTC bayonet in mk1 '07 scabbard last week, thought I was lucky to find that but then a mate had a spare metal one.... over the moon ūüôā

20180522_133515.jpg

20180522_133448.jpg

20180522_133528.jpg

20180522_133642.jpg

20180522_133616.jpg

20180522_133712.jpg

received_10155408559561651.jpeg

Dave66

What a fabulously lucky find...green with envy.

Only seen one for sale in the last 12 months, need to save the pennies as definitely on the shopping list.

Dave.

trajan

Hi Sawdoc, like you I have not been on for a while - something called work and the kids keep interposing themselves...

BUT, good to see you back and that you are ready to entertain and educate us with new finds! I have certainly never come across one of these before!

Julian

MikeyH

Sawdoc,

Welcome back and well done!

Mike.

Steve1871

What does VTC stand for??is it different from standard 07' type??

4thGordons

VTC- Volunteer Training Corps

And if you  look at the pics you will see the hilt etc is like a P1888 (for MLE / CLLE) but the blade is like the P1907

Chris

Steve1871

Thanks for the reply, info.Felt clueless for awhile there

593jones

PIcture 3 shows markings on the hilt UVF, now the first thing that comes to my mind is the Ulster Volunteer Force.  Would that a correct interpretation of the letters?  It does seem a little unlikely, but nothing else seems readily apparent.

trajan
8 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Thanks for the reply, info.Felt clueless for awhile there

I think a lot of us were...!!! Me certainly!!! Had to look it up...

26 minutes ago, 593jones said:

PIcture 3 shows markings on the hilt UVF, now the first thing that comes to my mind is the Ulster Volunteer Force.  Would that a correct interpretation of the letters?  It does seem a little unlikely, but nothing else seems readily apparent.

Those initials on the grip - It does seem unlikely but not impossible. 

593jones
1 hour ago, trajan said:

I think a lot of us were...!!! Me certainly!!! Had to look it up...

Those initials on the grip - It does seem unlikely but not impossible. 

Grip, yes, that was the term that escaped me!   With it being a VTC bayonet I was trying to think of something that might be applicable, possibly some university or public school, but none came readily to mind.  I wonder, did the Ulster Volunteer Force use rifles, presumably Lee Metford or Long Lee Enfield or even, I suppose Martini Enfield, that would accommodate  a P.1888 bayonet?

trajan

As I understand it, these were made 1908-1910 or so, for the Lee Metford/Enfield Rifle, OR for the Martini carbines used by volunteer units. All depends on the MRD!

There was a VTC in Ireland which did see action of a kind in 1916 - see: http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/20th-may-1916/5/first-blood-for-the-vtc-h-enceforth-the-volunteer-

MikeyH

There are currently 5 bayonets with a UVF connection, coming up for auction in Northern Ireland (North Coast Auction Rooms 23rd June).  There is little detail and no online images, but 3 are for the 'Gras' rifle.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

trajan

Just had a chance to quickly check Skennerton and Richardson, where it does not seem to be listed, but it is in Mike Rose's 12 Inches of Imperial Steel, where he shows it used on a Martini-Henry via a Rigby nose-cap.