Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand Canterbury Regt.

Paul Chapman

I am looking for information regarding the Canterbury Infantry Regt. casualties buried in Ploegsteert Wood Military Cemetery, with particular emphasis on their cause of death. 'The History of The Canterbury Regt., N.Z.E.F., 1914 -1919' provides very little detail of their whereabouts within the date range 19 July to 16 August 1917. Among those buried there are a group of four dated 31 July 1917, which I am particularly interested in. Sadly, the New Zealand War Diaries held by the AWM do not cover this date range.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/05/2018 at 23:57, Paul Chapman said:

I am looking for information regarding the Canterbury Infantry Regt. casualties buried in Ploegsteert Wood Military Cemetery, with particular emphasis on their cause of death. 'The History of The Canterbury Regt., N.Z.E.F., 1914 -1919' provides very little detail of their whereabouts within the date range 19 July to 16 August 1917. Among those buried there are a group of four dated 31 July 1917, which I am particularly interested in. Sadly, the New Zealand War Diaries held by the AWM do not cover this date range.  

Hi Paul

I have copies of the WD for 1, 2, 3  Canterbury Battalions for those dates.

those 4 were with 2nd Canterbury.

as per attached.

the front lines held by NZEF at that time were fronting onto La Basse Ville.

The Subsidiary lines would be probably be the  La Basse Ville Sector - as that was the line they were holding on an alternating basis with Wellington & Otago at that time. directly fronting La Basse Ville village. North of Desperie Farm and south of the Douve (stream).

Cheers Mate, hope that helps.

Roger

IMG_8367.JPG