Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flowers of the Forest

Rick Law

coverback-e1536270284768.pngTwo book launches for Flowers of the Forest. The first is in Bolton, Ontario on June 2, 1-4 pm, and the second is at Fort York Armoury, Royal Regiment of Canada, Toronto, June 10 , 2-4 pm. Don’t miss it if you are in the area. The book is available online at https://www.amazon.co.uk. or at the website https://www.flowersoftheforest.ca.

Edited by Rick Law
out of date title

Details from Amazon.co.uk,as that would help. I am unclear what this book is- is it a novel????   Is it heavily stylised biography, with invented diction??   Or what?

Flowers of the Forest Kindle Edition

by Richard M Law  (Author)

Farquhar McLennan was a phenomenal soccer player and a generational athlete.
He was also a private in the 58th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. In the summer of 1915 he embarked on a journey into war along with his two best friends. It was not just a journey of longitude and latitude, but also a transformation of youth into manhood.
The starting point was a place called Paradise. The destination was a place that could be called anything but. The Great War was turning Europe into blood and rubble, and the trio of friends felt called to serve King and Country.
The route was perilous and it was not always clear who the enemy was. It was the beautiful game that provided relief and distraction, and more importantly, cohesive teamwork to help the 58th Battalion in their quest to defeat the German foe.
The ferocious and bloody battle at Sanctuary Wood was the ultimate test of their courage and skill.
"The shelling did take up the whole afternoon, and finally ceased just before sunset. It was terrifying. It was deafening, and by the time it had stopped my nerves were a bloody mess. I thought back to the fireworks at the Canadian National Exhibition. I would never again be inspired by any damn fireworks display. I needed to re calibrate by sense of awe."

Edited by Guest
Links removed.

I would say it's a fictionalised biography. McLennan was real, he was KIA 23 June 1916, and he was in the 58th Bn CEF, but the quoted passage doesn't sound very Great War; 'II needed to re-calibrate my sense of awe'. Bit too modern a phrase, I'd say. Still, it's only £3.47 as a Kindle 'book', so not much to shell out to find out if it's any good.

1 hour ago, paulgranger said:

I would say it's a fictionalised biography. McLennan was real, he was KIA 23 June 1916, and he was in the 58th Bn CEF, but the quoted passage doesn't sound very Great War; 'II needed to re-calibrate my sense of awe'. Bit too modern a phrase, I'd say. Still, it's only £3.47 as a Kindle 'book', so not much to shell out to find out if it's any good.

Fair enough- in monetary terms. But history is all about it being right. History with invented bits is fiction. And nary the two can meet.

What, pray, is a "generational athlete"?

not a term I have heard before - or understand

Edited by David Filsell

The author here. My apologies for any misconceptions. The book is a historical/fiction novel. Pte Farquhar McLennan is my great uncle, who was killed in action at Sanctuary Wood, June, 1916. I would venture to say that the book is historically accurate as I relied heavily on the 58th Battalion diaries and on several history books on the CEF and the 58th. The story follows the three young Scottish friends from attestation to battle.

Michael Schumacher is an example of a generational athlete.

I hope you give my book a read. There is a website for the book that features photos and articles that relate to the story.

https://www.flowersoftheforest.ca

It is a very unique story with some very unique characters who get themselves into “jackpots” that young men are prone to.

cheers,

Richard

Edited by Rick Law

7 hours ago, Rick Law said:

... It is a very unique story with some very unique characters who get themselves into “jackpots” that young men are prone to.

Interesting contrasting definitions of "jackpots"! In Britain, very few young men get into jackpots as we understand them to be, but  they do in the transatlantic sense.

Merriam-Webster

Good luck with your launches and sales. Looks quite a chunky book.

Moonraker

Thank you.

Edited by Rick Law
Mistake

1 hour ago, Rick Law said:

Michael Schumacher?

David's comment was in reference to Post 6 above, I think.

• 1 month later...

The two book launches managed to sell all the books on hand. The launch at the Royal Regiment of Canada was a smashing success, with all of the books being sold within minutes. The Royal Regiment perpetuates the 58th Battalion CEF in the Armoury. Many thanks to the Regiment for the opportunity. We also commemorated the Battle of Mount Sorrel the same day.

A8B7C30C-0F2D-4CD9-86F3-9E88083F03E3.jpeg

Edited by Rick Law

• 5 weeks later...

I would love to get some feedback from anyone who has read this book. I have a thick skin.

42 minutes ago, Rick Law said:

I would love to get some feedback from anyone who has read this book. I have a thick skin.

Good luck- Hope you have what the navy toast allows- a willing foe and sea room.  At least you have been straightforward in  what is fact and what is fiction-I hope your book makes your chap much better remembered. Thick skin not necessary-I will look out for reviews, though apart from David Filsell, they may be a little wanting this side of the Atlantic.

Thank you The book appears to be selling well in the UK.

Wow- Now that is an achievement- As a retired bookseller, I can tell you that anything Canadian is usually a non-seller in the UK.  You have obviously broken the jinx!!

A very strong Scottish content and some UK locations. Bramshot, London. 

• 4 weeks later...

Readers Comments;
"Brilliant book. I read it in three sittings. Loved the Niagara on the Lake stuff. A fellow getting hit by lightning. The football politics and the fear of fear, and loss." - Adam Saunders - Royal Regiment of Canada
Available online at Amazon UK, Amazon US, Amazon ca, Amazon aus, Amazon nz, B&N, iBooks, and Indigo.

Edited by Rick Law

• 2 months later...