Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buying French rail tickets

clive_hughes

Hi,

I'm going to be over in eastern Normandy in a couple of weeks, on holiday with family but taking a few days out to visit the Western Front.  I've worked out that I can get by rail from where we're staying up to Arras to join other friends for this visit; and four days later depart from them at Calais, returning from there also by rail.  I have an idea of the timetables, and that the two journeys are not on rail strike days.  

So, a couple of questions to help my planning please.  Is it better to buy the rail tickets online from the UK in the next few days, using the French railways site (I'm assuming they will be delivered digitally?); or to go to the local station in Normandy and get them over the counter (or from the machine, or however it's done) on the day or maybe the day before?  

Thanks,

Clive

Buy the tickets online for the main journey to and from France. Then,buy other tickets as you go- If you buy the local tickets in advance,then you tie yourself to a fixed timetable. Thus,strikes and grief-as all rail system have their little,teensy-weensy foibles (Mr. Broomfield,of this parish, has noted the odd little Old Spanish Custom with South West Trains- (such as not turning up)  We understand the therapy is going quite well-considering)

As regards the attitude of French rail workers towards industrial action-well, a bit political and outside this forum. Perhaps if you  regard  EVERY  cheminot as grumpy,awkward and  anti-social,then you plans will not go far astray. Just keep the mental picture of the late,great Michel Simon as "Papa Boule" in "The Train" with you and you will be able to cope

(Very surprised to find that there is still an SNCF office in Picadilly- It may be worth a call to it re. strikes rather than try and follow what is going re.  railways across what are likely to be French language sites. The SNCF is good for many travel things to France-accomodation,etc. or they were..)

Edited by Guest

It is not quite true what Guest writes : you can change your ticket ! But the price may change, as it depends on WHEN you travel.

Most important : check the 'strike calendar' (see below)

here : https://www.oui.sncf/  you can see the schedules - and book a ticket (yes, digital, you have the choice to get a paper ticket if you use the machines in the station, but you must use the credit card which was used to buy the ticket on the internet)

I assume you have the calendar, but I add it here - kind regards

calendrier-des-jours-de-greve-a-la-sncf.png

Fully aware that tickets can be changed- but why add to the bother when you can just roll up and buy a ticket  there and then?

Fully aware that tickets can be changed- but why add to the bother when you can just roll up and buy a ticket  there and then?

Because, as in the UK, in many cases (and I'm not saying this is one of them) the further in advance you buy the ticket the less you will have to pay.

Cheers Martin B

10 minutes ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Because, as in the UK, in many cases (and I'm not saying this is one of them) the further in advance you buy the ticket the less you will have to pay.

Cheers Martin B

Thank you Martin- A subject best left untouched!!.  There are various discount schemes available from SNCF-which at least has the advantage that it is a single unit and doesn't quite get to the level of absurdity of the system in the UK-more ticket permutations than there are people in the country.

A look at SNCF Picadilly or a call to it may be useful in raising awareness of travel deals available. Tinternet has good sites for SNCF in English-as with the UK there are various cards for concessions and groups, as well as advance and early/off-peak journeys. Well worth a look-and a lot more intelliigible than UK rail websites.

Edited by Guest

What are the dates that are cross-hatched on the calendar?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

8 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

What are the dates that are cross-hatched on the calendar?

Weekends and public holidays. The ones with yellow lines are school holidays.

Cheers Martin B

32 minutes ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Weekends and public holidays.

Blimey. So this month, there are ten working week  days during which you can use the train.

Nearly as bad as in Cardigan (station closed 1964 by Dr. Beeching!)

the red days = strike. BUT this doesn't mean that there are no trains at all.

One can check here on the day before departure at 5 pm : https://www.oui.sncf/train/greve   - there is an 'app' too

Thank you for your kind advice folks; I can see that the two days I need to travel will (in theory) be strike-free!

GUEST, you're quite right, the image of M.Boule will likely remain with me for years...especially in dreams... 

Clive

Clive, not sure what age bracket you are in but, if over 60, you can get a slight reduction on some off-peak fares on local TER services, even if not a holder of the French senior railcard.

See EnglishSNCF page and read up on "découverte sénior", which can give you up to 25% off.  Over the counter, you would ask for a "prix découverte sénior".

If you were going to do a LOT of travelling as a senior, it might be worth lashing out 60€ for the full "carte sénior+", which gives you up to 50% off full fares for a year, including in TGVs (high-speed trains); you need to do the maths once you have worked out the basic cost of your planned journey.  If you go down this latter route, you can get the card from most French railway stations, but need to take along a mugshot photo for the rail card.

apologies if you are a sprightly 25-y-o !   But the info might be useful for others...

Well, I'm a bit over 60 so that might also come in handy Angela - many thanks!!  

On 21/05/2018 at 15:13, clive_hughes said:

Thank you for your kind advice folks; I can see that the two days I need to travel will (in theory) be strike-free!

GUEST, you're quite right, the image of M.Boule will likely remain with me for years...especially in dreams... 

Clive

Eh bien-bonnes vacances:rolleyes:

Use www.seat61.com its very good.

7 hours ago, mva said:

the red days = strike. BUT this doesn't mean that there are no trains at all.

One can check here on the day before departure at 5 pm : https://www.oui.sncf/train/greve   - there is an 'app' too

Thanks, that's a great help. I'm travelling from Lille to St. Quentin next week. I already had the strike dates from the BBC website but not sure if I will be able to travel on my planned day. This link will help a lot. My plan B is an extra night in Lille with free cancellation...

Alan.

SNCF staff in local stations can be incredibly helpful and on occasions have recommended routes/tickets/travel time offers which save money.  The staff on the trains are more of a mixed bag.   

I was absolutely stunned by the Albert to Arras train - just over 20 minutes for 5 or 6 euro!  Meant a boozy lunch in Arras could be accomplished without fear of the Police!  Or the peage!