Great War Forum
mrfish

ACCIDENTALLY KILLED ON BOARD SHIP

mrfish

I've been looking at the death of Maurice Charles Taylor who died on 12 March 1916while serving on board HMS Agincourt.  His service papers state that he was accidentally killd but no details are given.

I have now found a newspaper article that gives a little more information: 

"A very sympathetic letter giving full particulars of the death received by his father from the captain of the ship on which the deceased was serving. He met his death on night duty receiving terrible injuries caught in the electric bollard used in hoisting in a boat. Died whilst being removed to the Hospital ship and buried on shore by the chaplain with full naval honour."

Is someone please able to explain what the mechanism is, what it looks like and how you might get 'caught' in it?

Many thanks in advance

><(((((*>

Wexflyer
Posted (edited)

I think this refers to an electric winch, which would be used to control the lines used for raising and lowering the ship's boats. One with the drum-like part vertical, rather than horizontal, hence its description as a bollard.

From my yachting days, one had to be constantly alert when using such, so as to avoid having hands or feet getting trapped, or dragged into the winch by the lines. That was with very small winches - on a battleship such as Agincourt, a winch could be a massive affair, and I can easily imagine that it could kill you.

Edited by Wexflyer

charlie962

I was once doing the daily check on  a (1,000 ft ?) glider towing cable as it was running slowly into the heavy truck mounted winch. Before I knew it, the apparently straight cable threw a twist which wrapped round my hand and dragged me towards the winch drum. Fortunaley it was the heavy leather glove that was torn off my hand and disappeared into the infernal machine before the winch operator realised what was happening.

It all happens very fast even with seemingly slow running machinery.

Charlie

mrfish

Thank you both for your replies . It sounds like a horrific way to meet ones end. 

><(((((*>

Wexflyer
8 minutes ago, mrfish said:

Thank you both for your replies . It sounds like a horrific way to meet ones end. 

><(((((*>

Quite.