Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battery R.F.A

Jethro Tull

Hello all.

I've recently become the custodian for a 1914 star trio to a chap from the R.F.A. He joined up in 1902 and some of his paperwork survives. Pre WW1 he was first with No.3 depot R.F.A and then  possibly served with 7th Battery R.F.A in India from 1904, his medical report looks like it mentions Gharsi and Agra. I am struggling to find any info about this battery and wondering if anyone has anything to assist. He then went on in WW1 to serve with 47th battery, (44 Brigade) until roughly mid 1917, then 49th (R) battery until end of 1917 and finally the 37th D.A.C until the end of the war. Any info really on these batteries would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan.

In 1904 7th Battery was part of 4th Brigade RFA [often written as IV Brigade at that time] based an Jhansi, Bengal. They were still there in 1910.. and still in India in 1914.. so he will have left by then.. A lot of men who joined in 1902 would have been on a 3+9 enlistment, so would have 3 years full time and 9 years reservist.  He may have served throughout.. or been mobilised as a reservist in 1914. 47th Bty [as you say in 44th Brigade] was in 2nd Division and would have received many mobilised reservists in 1914 to bring it up to full strength. if any records this should be clear.. I have a list of c.850 men who served with 44th Brigade , so may have something on him if you share his name

Hi battiscombe,

Thanks for the reply. His name is Percy Ainger 28910. According to the paperwork I have found he joined up on 21st Feb 1901, transferred to r.f.a on 25th Nov 1902, was in India from 6th Dec 1904 to  31st Mar 1911 then no mention until France on 16th Aug 1914. I'm assuming he was in England between these dates. Any info you may have on him would be ace. What sort of gun would they have been using in the 7th Battery? The references I have found for the 47th battery indicate a 4.5in howitzer, would this have been correct?

Regards

Dan

Thanks. He was missing form my list for some reason.. but he is on 44th Brigade, 1914 Star Roll I see... I see he was back in England by 1911 census which was April I think..- 'awaiting discharge'  if the right man [from Gt Ryburgh, Norfolk] - aged 27. He had been in Norfolk Rgt before transfer to RFA also.  So he will have been mobilised reservist in Aug 1914.. probably going to Preston Depot c.4/5th August 1914 and then sent down to Brighton  to join 44th Bde. . In 1916 he was transferred to 41st Brigade (also in 2nd Division) when the 47th Battery moved, as artillery Brigades were restructured.. [it was indeed a  howitzer battery - as was 7th Battery in India, I am not sure when they got the 4.5".. prewar ]

49th Reserve Battery was a training unit, i think in 5C Reserve Brigade [

=49, 50 and 51 Batteries. Charlton Park]

Thanks for that battiscombe, all helpful info to add to the medal group. I've found the 1911 census and it is my chap from Great Ryburgh. His paperwork shows time served as 16 years 91 days on 23rd Feb 1919, has him listed with 37/ D.A.C. After he initially joined with the 3rd Norfolk Regiment, I've now deciphered the paperwork to show no.3 depot R.F.A on 28th Feb 1902, then to 93 B(attery?) R.F.A on 29th Mar 1903 before his move to the 7th Battery on 6th Sep 1904.  I've also found what I think to be evidence of a courts martial too, and plenty of entries on medical forms. 

Dan

Thanks Loader, I have been looking but can't find anything yet, it may well be that he did though.

Dan.