Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Phil K

Tracing a soldiers service number - Edward Wright

Recommended Posts

Phil K

You are so knowledgeable about things such as the 1939 register.

 

He was married in North Bierley, West Yorkshire, 29th April 1917 and his address is given as North Camp Ripon. His age was given as 38.

 

I'll have a look on the Sheffield Indexers website as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil K

Just to let you know that I received 3 birth certificates for Edward Wright and I don't know if any of them are correct.  What a blooming family!  Thank you all for you help.  I may just have to forget about him.  Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
9 minutes ago, Phil K said:

Just to let you know that I received 3 birth certificates for Edward Wright and I don't know if any of them are correct.  What a blooming family!  Thank you all for you help.  I may just have to forget about him.  Phil

Don't give up Phil,

What are the DOBs on those certificates, and the registration districts, so we can cross check them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil K

Good evening Dai. Thank you for saying that you may be able to cross check.

 

The first Birth cert says 13 December 1878

 

The next one says 26th September 1878

 

The last one was actually his death certificate stating his age as 74 which would have put the year as 1878.  Sorry - I though i had ordered 3 birth certificates as I saw one putting his dob as 1st 3 months, 1879 in Sheffield.

 

Still not much use I'm afraid but the one dated the 26th September 1878 does actually match the 1939 register which would mean that I have been using the incorrect maiden name for his mother but relatives said that was what she was called.  

 

Anyway - it's the best I have at the moment.

 

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
5 minutes ago, Phil K said:

Good evening Dai. Thank you for saying that you may be able to cross check.

 

The first Birth cert says 13 December 1878

 

The next one says 26th September 1878

 

The last one was actually his death certificate stating his age as 74 which would have put the year as 1878.  Sorry - I though i had ordered 3 birth certificates as I saw one putting his dob as 1st 3 months, 1879 in Sheffield.

 

Still not much use I'm afraid but the one dated the 26th September 1878 does actually match the 1939 register which would mean that I have been using the incorrect maiden name for his mother but relatives said that was what she was called.   

 

Anyway - it's the best I have at the moment.

 

Phil

What is the maiden name on Sep 1878 cert ?

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil K

Sarah Ann Wright formerly Guest.

 

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phil K said:

Sarah Ann Wright formerly Guest.

 

Phil

Hi Phil,

OK, it's all coming together ....slowly.

She was 'Guest', not  as we previously thought -"Littlewood".

And Wortley rings a bell- not Sheffield exactly...

 

That means that they were married here and then:

Marriages Mar 1867   (>99%)
Guest  Sarah Anne    Wortley  9c 222  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
             
             
             
Wright  Joseph    Wortley  9c 222  btnInfo.gif 

 

 

 

And that tallies with this birth all along:

 

Births Dec 1878   (>99%)
             
             
Wright  Edward    Wortley  9c 281  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
             
             

 

 

What is the date of the birth registration on your certificates?

What you must remember, is that this is the quarter in which the birth was registered, NOT NECESSARILY the quarter in which the birth occurred.

Born 26th September- you have 6 weeks to register, so clearly the birth was registered in October (it could legally have been in November too!)

So if this is the right baby and the right marriage-the date on the certificate (as compared to the date of birth) can't be September 1878.

And I suppose that could fit with the christening being in  January 1879.

 

EDIT. Actually January 1880 not 1879.

Is there a law against baptizing babies  at 15 months? Probably not- anything goes I think!

 

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil K
11 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Hi Phil,

OK, it's all coming together ....slowly.

She was 'Guest', not  as we previously thought -"Littlewood".

And Wortley rings a bell- not Sheffield exactly...

 

That means that they were married here and then:

Marriages Mar 1867   (>99%)
Guest  Sarah Anne    Wortley  9c 222  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
             
             
             
Wright  Joseph    Wortley  9c 222  btnInfo.gif 

 

 

 

And that tallies with this birth all along:

 

Births Dec 1878   (>99%)
             
             
Wright  Edward    Wortley  9c 281  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
             
             

 

 

What is the date of the birth registration on your certificates?

What you must remember, is that this is the quarter in which the birth was registered, NOT NECESSARILY the quarter in which the birth occurred.

Born 26th September- you have 6 weeks to register, so clearly the birth was registered in October (it could legally have been in November too!)

So if this is the right baby and the right marriage-the date on the certificate (as compared to the date of birth) can't be September 1878.

And I suppose that could fit with the christening being in  January 1879.

 

EDIT. Actually January 1880 not 1879.

Is there a law against baptizing babies  at 15 months? Probably not- anything goes I think!

 

The date of the registration of birth for Edward Wright was 6th November 1878.  I have attached the pdf of the birth certificate that is probably his.

 

Phil

 

 

11 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

 

 

Edward wright possible birth cert.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
Posted (edited)

There we are then.

All that fits. Born September 26th 1878, but birth not registered until December quarter 1878 in Wortley district, not Sheffield District.

That date of birth fits with his entry in the 1939 Register, and there are other people living at that address whom you know are your aunts/uncles.

So, we can't match his name with that date of birth in the 1921 MOD files list.

The conclusion may be that there is no file held by the MOD for an Edward Wright with that date of birth.

It is possible maybe, that they have his DOB wrong? Without going through them all, it's not possible to say.

 

There is one last roll of the dice.

Is there an Absent Voters List for Sheffield?

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Sheffield isn't listed on that site, but it's possible that there is one in the main city library or in the county archives.

The AVL in 95+% of cases has the soldier's name, his home address and his regiment/ship, and in the vast majority of cases has his service number.

It is treasure, but like treasure, it is scarce and hard to find.

Enquire of the library and archive services, you never know what the anser will be.

 

Edit: It looks as only 5 sample pages exist of the Sheffield list-

Tracing your Sheffield World War One ancestors

but it could be that Wortley didn't count as Sheffield, and might be in another Yorkshire authority's archives.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil K
11 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

There we are then.

All that fits. Born September 26th 1878, but birth not registered until December quarter 1878 in Wortley district, not Sheffield District.

That date of birth fits with his entry in the 1939 Register, and there are other people living at that address whom you know are your aunts/uncles.

So, we can't match his name with that date of birth in the 1921 MOD files list.

The conclusion may be that there is no file held by the MOD for an Edward Wright with that date of birth.

It is possible maybe, that they have his DOB wrong? Without going through them all, it's not possible to say.

 

There is one last roll of the dice.

Is there an Absent Voters List for Sheffield?

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Sheffield isn't listed on that site, but it's possible that there is one in the main city library or in the county archives.

The AVL in 95+% of cases has the soldier's name, his home address and his regiment/ship, and in the vast majority of cases has his service number.

It is treasure, but like treasure, it is scarce and hard to find.

Enquire of the library and archive services, you never know what the anser will be.

 

Edit: It looks as only 5 sample pages exist of the Sheffield list-

Tracing your Sheffield World War One ancestors

but it could be that Wortley didn't count as Sheffield, and might be in another Yorkshire authority's archives.

 

Evening.  I have now ordered the marriage certificate that you kindly had found so I will have to wait for that - then perhaps by looking at other family members details/family trees I may find out other details.  I will also contact Sheffield  Archives to see if they have an AVL and I will check out the Sheffield World War 1 ancestors web site. When I reach the maximum amount of info on Edward Wright I have to start on my wife's grandfather in the merchant navy !!  Not much chance with that one as his surname is Smith!.  Thanks for all of your help.  If I find anything about Edward Wrights military records I'll let you know.

 

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil K

I am still waiting for a reply from Sheffield Archives and Libraries and also Tracing Sheffield World War One ancestors.  I have re-emailed the Tracing Ancestors web site as it is well over a week since I fist emailed them.

 

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

A week is a very short time in genealogy:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil K
19 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

A week is a very short time in genealogy:thumbsup:

 

Hi Dai

 

I have just received an email from Sheffield archives about the AVL

 

Thank you for your E-Mail regarding the Absent Voters list for Sheffield for 1918.

As far as we are aware this has not survived.

A few years ago five pages did turn up but these are the only ones we know to exist.

The pages cover part of the Hallam District of Sheffield around Fulwood, Rivelin, Ranmoor, Stumperlowe (Ref: MP1746M).

A copy of these pages is held at the Local Studies Library the address  and opening times are below.

 

Unfortunately Edward Wright didn't live in these rather nice areas of Sheffield - He was at the other side so no help there.  I'll try to find out where Wortley records would be stored/kept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×