Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Whistle ?

Derbys

Hello, here is a whistle stamped J Hudson and Co, Birmingham dated 1915. Patent 5727.08.  I’ve seen a couple of sites that describe this as a ‘WW1 Trench Whistle’  - and other sites that describe this as a Police whistle. It does not have a WD arrow mark.  So, can anyone confirm if it is a WW1 whistle (even in absence of WD) or simply a 1915 issue police whistle.  Thanks. Chris

09C122E1-FF3F-470A-A2F7-431959213AE7.jpeg

Assuming it`s not stamped on the ring, it could be either. Not all army whistles were ordnance marked. It is a police type whistle that could have been sold to any organization or person - or to the armed services!

Edited by PhilB

28 minutes ago, Derbys said:

Hello, here is a whistle stamped J Hudson and Co, Birmingham dated 1915. Patent 5727.08.  I’ve seen a couple of sites that describe this as a ‘WW1 Trench Whistle’  - and other sites that describe this as a Police whistle. It does not have a WD arrow mark.  So, can anyone confirm if it is a WW1 whistle (even in absence of WD) or simply a 1915 issue police whistle.  Thanks. Chris

09C122E1-FF3F-470A-A2F7-431959213AE7.jpeg

Morning Chris,

Looks like a standard Hudson General Service Whistle, manufactured in 1915, and could have had multiple uses. The broad arrow can sometimes be stamped on the top ring, and can be difficult to see as very small....I have a number of these, some with police chains, some with the riveted leather fob, and singly like this.

Hudson made specific police whistles under their Metropolitan trademark, I've also seen dated special constabe whistles from the Great War era....all explained here....http://www.whistleshop.co.uk/index.html

Nice piece, and iconic of the period.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66
Typo

6 minutes ago, PhilB said:

The 1915 arrows tend to be small:-

IMG_2582.JPG

Nice ones Phil, 

perfect picture showing the two sizes of lettering common to Hudsons in the early war years, 15 the last date I've seen with both.

heres some of mine, showing chain and strap.

Dave.

image.jpeg

As a matter of interest, my 1914 & 15 whistles have stamps on the body while all the 1916, 17 & 18s have stamps on the ring.

6 hours ago, PhilB said:

As a matter of interest, my 1914 & 15 whistles have stamps on the body while all the 1916, 17 & 18s have stamps on the ring.

Come to think of it, same here....13, 14 and 15 on the body, all else on the ring apart from the 17 which was Indian contract so stamped during manufacture, and the 18 having a broad arrow on the leather button strap...I don't think the decourcey 17 has any broad arrow but is on a button strap.

Dave.

Dave,

I’m afraid that you have some explaining to do regarding that large black object immediately below the whistles.

Is that bad boy what I think it is ?

If it is, please start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

Dave,

I’m afraid that you have some explaining to do regarding that large black object immediately below the whistles.

Is that bad boy what I think it is ?

If it is, please start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

Regards,

JMB

Hello JMB,

1916 MK 6...new thread to follow.

Dave.

• 2 years later...

Hi, 

this previous thread may help

Cheers

Ross

• 2 weeks later...