Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in France during WW1

Kathryn Steeman

Hi everyone, just would like to know if there is any way to find out about soldiers admitted to hospital in France WW1. I am trying to confirm my Grandfather in a RHA unit in WW1 and have a man called Gnr John Smith 39257 GSW slight both arms Adm 11 G.H. Boulogne 13 Apr 15 . Are there any records that can be accessed from this hospital? Was it a regular French hospital or a Mobile War hospital?

I have been reading the RHA 5th Brigade 8th Division War Diary and this ties in with entries around this date of 'O' battery coming across a sniper tower in Fromelles (think this is what it is called as the people writing the entries should have been doctors in later life as their penmanship was as scribbley as todays doctors!). It said that 'O' observation station was attacked by sniper fire. Grand father , my mother said, had two tattos one on each arm , a horses head for RHA and "Mother" probably to cover up scars. Was a bit vain about looks apparently!

Any info where to look or access documents would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kathryn in NZ

Hi Kathryn

11th General Hospital was a British Military Hospital set at 98, Boulevard St. Beuve in Boulogne.

The Hospital War Diary is split into a number of parts which can be downloaded from the National Archives at a cost of £3.50 each - though it is very unlikely that you Grandfather will be named in the relevant part for his admission.

The Diary Reference for August 1914 to April 1915 is WO 95/4080/5

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/44351ce9c70d42b1868dddb0ce6bfce9

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

Thanks for that Dave, will definitely look further into the link given!

Cheers

Kathryn in NZ

• Admin

Can I please tag on to Kathryn's thread and ask if anyone can advise which hospitals may have been active in December 1916 in the Le Havre area?

This is because a friend's grandfather is buried in Ste Marie Cemetery Le Havre having died on 25th December 1916 in hospital and it would be nice to narrow down which one it might have been.

Thanks and apologies for the hijack!

• Admin
7 minutes ago, jonbem said:

The Casualty Clearing Stations list may help you on the parent site

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/locations-of-british-casualty-clearing-stations/

Thanks will take a look - he may have been in a more rearward location having died of "alcohol poisoning"... and on Xmas day too!

His will is marked most definitely "in hospital"

Looks like No 2 General or 52 Stationary are the most likely candidates as they were in Le Havre at the time. Possibly no 9 Stationary too. 

Anyone know where any of their records might be?

Link to hospitals list on LLT http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/british-base-hospitals-in-france/

Edited by DavidOwen
Hospitals info added

Thanks Jon and David, this is also helpful to have these links as well. John Smith was also shot in foot and mustard gassed so having these medical links to cross reference with War Diary events is fantastic. Taking time to plough through War Diary which was downloaded in two sections one 111 pages and the other 107pages. 111 pages down just 107 to go! lol