Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

deutscherinfanteriest

alistar horne verdun

deutscherinfanteriest

I know that the book on Verdun of Alistar Horne has a map of Verdun, can you send me it?

Paul Hederer

grotekaart.jpg

deutscherinfanteriest

Thanks, but Horne when wrote about letters of "French soldier" or "not identified German soldier", he took all these informations from real documents?

deutscherinfanteriest

In a letter the name of writer there must be ever

David Filsell

For a Verdun map better, and thus more useful than that in any book on the battle, try IGN Grande Geurre; Battle de Verdun 1916. Scale 1:75 000. Available from Amazon. 

nigelcave
On 16/05/2018 at 17:18, deutscherinfanteriest said:

In a letter the name of writer there must be ever

Yes, but ... remember the book was published in the early 1960s. So any number of reasons why the letters were not named: it could have come from a newspaper (no named source), an anthology of letters (recipients did not want to be identified), various histories/regimental accounts. maybe donations to museums  etc etc. Note also that this is not a work that would be described as 'academic'; it is not heavily footnoted. It is a 'popular' history of Verdun 1916 (and should probably be read in conjunction with his three books ion France, dealing with the Fr-Pr War, Verdun and the Fall of France 1940. His books on France are really very good, very readable (the one I read a few years back now was 'The Seven ages (I think!) of Paris'; and he could write academic tomes as well, of course.

In fact, looking at my hard back copy from 1962 I see that he has produced a mini bibliographical essay and he makes it quite clear that, apart from conversations with veterans and their relatives etc, his material comes from a very impressive range of sources/books in print; and he also discusses sources for each of his chapters.