Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

alastaircox

FAO Channel Hopper / BEBB KRRC

alastaircox
Posted (edited)

I think I have found something you will be very interested in - a medal pair to one C-6209 PTE N.BIBB [SIC] K.R.RIF.C.   

PM me and these will hopefully be going home... 

IMG_1144.JPG.d471ebbe36cfa03248060e4e165af719.JPG

Edited by alastaircox

MBrockway

Corresponding KRRC BW&VM roll entry confirms spelling of the surname ...

5afb163c023ec_BIBBRfnNormanC-620918-KRRC-BWVMroll.jpg.716eff2b2fbea356b9ab149f1de15739.jpg

Cropped down tightly as no further info available on the page to the right of the entry.

Mark

alastaircox

Channelhopper's great uncle I believe. KIA October 1916.

MBrockway

Correct.  It would be marvellous to see the medals get back to him.  Full marks to yourself for making that a possibility.

Mark

alastaircox

bump

MBrockway

I sent channel hopper a Personal Message alerting him to this topic on 15 May.  He has not read it yet, but his last Forum visit was on 21 May.  It rather looks like he does not have his Notifications set up appropriately :(

Let's hope he does eventually get in touch with you.

Michelle Young

I have sent an email to Channlehopper alerting him of this topic.

Michelle 

alastaircox

Last try, come on Channelhopper, where are you? 

Michelle Young

The email I sent bounced. Presumably they have changed their email address and not updated on the forum. 

m0rris
Posted (edited)

If Channelhopper shares the same surname as his relative, then there is a chap also based in York with contact details found online, that might be worth a try.

Edited by m0rris

MBrockway
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, m0rris said:

If Channelhopper shares the same surname as his relative, then there is a chap also based in York with contact details found online, that might be worth a try.

Looked into this but found three males and one female with this surname, all in York, so have not taken it any further.

Might still be worth an approach to one or more of these as they're likely to be related, but felt that might be more appropriate to be done by a Mod?

We should also bear in mind it's impossible to know the true internal dynamics of a family and we run the risk of starting a bidding war amongst the soldier's descendants for these medals.  We need to tread carefully.

Edited by MBrockway

MBrockway
Posted (edited)

Some clues here:

On 27/03/2005 at 14:19, channelhopper said:

Good Afternoon.

As they say none of us are getting any younger and I have often thought what will happen to my collection go once i join the lads up there. I don't want to add to the depressing weather with this topic but what provisions have any of the pals made, especially in view of the fantasic increase in medal prices in the last few. I am sure this will also apply to other militaria collections.

I have two sons both in their twenties, none of whom have shown any interest in my hobby as yet. My partner travels with me to fairs and around the battlefields as she personally enjoys the history side and would have an idea where to seek advise on selling my collection as she knows quite a few of dealers. That said I am sure many collector's families would not know where to turn for help.

So where does one go, to a medal dealer friend or an auction house,? The latter I understand take quite a chunk though some fantastic prices have been acheived in recent years judging by reports in medal news. It must also be accepted that the dealer has to make a profit to cover their time, the cost of attending events and of course in some cases it is their own source of income.

Have any of the pals given any thought on this subject ?

Oh and Happy Easter to everyone.

Peter

Peter BEBB

Only one of the three males I found in York had forename Peter.

The quotation comes from this post 13 years ago:

Edited by MBrockway

m0rris
Posted (edited)

I sent him an email after my last post. Hopefully if it's him he'll get straight on to the Forum.

Edited by m0rris

m0rris
Posted (edited)

Success! Hopefully Peter will be in touch soon.

Will

Edited by m0rris

channelhopper

Hi Alaister

Can I thank everybody and especially Will for his efforts in trying to contact me.

Although I have been on the forum,  I still had an old orange email address on my account which has now been updated.

Norman Bebb was my Great Uncle and that is a fantastic find I am so grateful.

Thanks

Peter

alastaircox

Superb, I have just got in from work and am absolutely shattered. I will contact you by PM tomorrow and we can organise the return of the medals.

MBrockway

Fantastic result for the Rifles family :thumbsup:

alastaircox

All sorted, Norman's medals have returned to the fold. Thanks to everyone for your assistance. 

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

An excellent example of Great War Forum co-operation with associated Happy-End. Super!

The BWM suspender has had a really nasty kind of knock, but that is perhaps beside the point...

Kindest regards,

Kim.