Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3516 Gnr William Turner, RGA died 28/1/1915 Southsea Hospital

Bardess

Can you please assist in screwing your eyes up to read this newspaper clipping?

"

Among all the men who responded to the country’s call last Autumn, William Turner was one of the finest in physique. He was a young married man of thirty-two years of age. He had spent a number of years in the Marines and had served in China and other stations in the Far East. He was indeed a handy man, and on entering civilian life at the termination of a very creditable career with the Forces, came from Reading to work at Messrs Danks’ at Tat Bank. His home is at 41 Victoria Street, West Smethwick. It will be recalled how all the available men in a certain yard joined Kitchener’s Army. Turner’s choice was the Royal Garrison Artillery, and he went to Gosport. His former military experience stood him in good stead, and he would have won promotion but his health began to fail and he had to go to Southsea Hospital. Here he was visited by his wife at the end of January. However, the illness took a very serious turn and the soldier died. The funeral took place at Portsmouth, and full military honours were accorded the burial of a popular artillery man. Mrs Turner attended the funeral and there were many tributes of respect paid to the deceased.

It was reported that Turner was on board the “Cressy” when that vessel sank in the North Sea, and that the illness from which Turner suffered was ???? in the ????????? This, however, was not the case as he did not join his old “???” but RGA. Turner has two brothers in the Army.

"

GWF.jpg

clipping from steve beard.jpg

was due to the exposure.

his old line.

was due to the exposure.

his old line.

I am sorry to says that I got used to reading these old microfiche newspaper items. It takes a while but you will get there.

Thank you Tom. Perhaps I should've tried to read it a little earlier in the day ^_^ [it's almost 1am now]

I'd appreciate anything of the last paragraph too please

Among the other men from Victoria Street, there is only one of whom serious news has been received. The soldier was shot in the line, but he made a good recovery and is back again in the firing line.

Superb, Tom. You've cleary had a lot of experience and sorted the transcript. Thanks so much

Not a bother, happy to help.