Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dumb question..

182 CEF

Here's something from a collection of stories by a staff nurse at the Dundee War Hospital, Edinburgh (published 1918) -

"The V.A.D. movement is a splendid one, and the V.A.D.'s who served under me in France worked like Trojans, and threw themselves loyally and whole-heartedly into their work. Their keenness was unsurpassed. Before my eyes as I write there rises a vision of a very young V.A.D. with athletic tendencies! In the midst of ward dressings I had sent her in a hurry for something the surgeon required. A bed was in her way; but, nothing daunted, she placed on hand on the foot of the bed, and vaulted gracefully over the petrified poilu within! My French surgeon twinkled delightedly. 'Ah! ces jeunes filles!'he said; 'ces jeunes filles!'

"Since the outbreak of this war I have asserted, and still maintain, that a humble V.A.D., willing to do as she is told, and willing to believe she may still have something to learn, is the most valuable asset the Red Cross have had in this unprepared-for struggle. If difficulties arise, it simply means that the spirit of discipline - so inherent in the trained nurse, and therfore second nature to her - is entirely new to the less useful type of V.A.D., who looks upon discipline as a hardship. "

I've copied the full article here - (the article is not entirely current in some of the comments and stereotypes, but gives an impression of the sentiments of some at that time). Article

If you are interested in nurses durning the war I would recommend Lyn MacDonald's Roses of No Man's Land. I always like her writing because she includes so many personal accounts. Of course there may be more factual or comprehensive books out there, but this book adds its own unique perspective.

Andy