Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Harold Pearce Stuttard

ralphjd

A  friend of mine is looking at this lad who is buried in Whitworth Cem nr Rochdale died 1917 serving with the RFC apparantly died Richmond Red Cross Hospital, any RFC experts out there who could shed further light on this brave soul. Thanks Ralph.

Killed as a result of a flying accident. Sorry about the poor quality of the scan. The Rochdale Observer Saturday November 3 1917.

Bob

5afab81ea7645_scan0087(3).jpg.c18ef084a666c5a6af1ee1c2f8c03815.jpg

Edited by little bob

Casualty card (one of 2) here on RAF Museum Historyvault

If you look at the actual card, in small handwriting bottom right is the opinion of the Court of Enquiry.

NoK  Mrs Jane Stuttard (mother), Lynton, Stratford, Rochdale.

Edited by charlie962

That excellent site airhistory.org has this listing of records available for him (born 5/4/96):

5afac22f505cb_StuttardHPairhistory.JPG.83ff7c09458867c164f43ad346489f5f.JPG

Hi Ralph,

From his record on FMP - link

image.png.ea27c9045fc4e17b7d4b72ecc8db0ac7.png

image.png.135a375e263846a49853001b35d430e9.png

The records give an address for his mother as (what seems to read) Lynton Stratford Avenue, Rochdale, Lancs. It too has his DoB as 5th April 1896.

Regards

Chris

Wow. What a fount of knowledge on this site, never fails to amaze me, did not expect this response , stars ALL of you. :thumbsup: Ralph.

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Casualty card (one of 2) here on RAF Museum Historyvault

If you look at the actual card, in small handwriting bottom right is the opinion of the Court of Enquiry.

NoK  Mrs Jane Stuttard (mother), Lynton, Stratford, Rochdale.

Charlie962. Any way to make this image readable, bearing in mind I am computer illiterate. :( Ralph.

Good morning, Ralph.

It's possible to download the images off that site, but without wanting to patronise, last time I tried to 'talk' someone on here through that process, it met with mixed resuts, so I've posted the image in question for you here: -

https://imgur.com/a/T54F4l9

If you right click on the image at that link and left click Save Image As on the menu that appears, this will download it to your local computer.  If you then open the image on your computer (e.g. go to the location where you saved it, and double click the filename, or start your photo viewing aplication and do the equivalent of File, Open), and use the Zoom function of your photo viewing application, you can see it at the maximum resolution, which is very readable.

All you're left with then, is deciphering the handwriting :).  Not my strong point, but some people on here approach near-mystical status at it - perhaps you're one of them!  Good luck.

C_J

Here's my reading although I stumble on the last three words:

a/c necessary.

Under instruction
  39 solo flights
  35hrs 50min solo
C of I.  The court is of the opinion that the pilot got into difficulties in the clouds that by accident or design he put the machine into a spin or dive and that the machine was thereby subjected to abnormal strain causing it to break up and resulting in a complete wreck.
1) The starboard aileron and the port elevator fell off owing to the fact that the split pin securing them apparently sheared.
2) The leading edge of the tailplane broke at precisely the same spot on each side viz at the bolt through the leading edge main spar holding fin?and tail bracing?? wire?? (or' braking were')  fitting.

Edited by charlie962