Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Gareth Davies

Unknown Staff Officer IX Corps

Gareth Davies

Attached is a crop from a photo of IX Corps HQ Staff taken in December 1918 when they were in Dinant.  Who is the man in the centre (ringed in black)?  I know it's not Brigadier General Cameron (BGGS) nor Brigadier General Harding Newman (DA & QMG) as they are sat on the other side of Sir Walter Braithwaite (out of shot in this crop).  Based on the logic that the most senior officers would be sat closest to the Corps Commander my guess is that he is one of the other Brigadier Generals on the staff which I think means it is either Brigadier General G Humphreys (BG RA), Brigadier General G B Mackenzie (CHA), or Brigadier General R A Gillam (CE).  Can anyone identify him please?

IX Corps.jpg

voltaire60

Anything known about the event from the War Diary- which I see goes up to August 1919 for IX Corps?

Gareth Davies

It looks like the standard HQ staff photo.  A post Armistice one in this case.

Gareth Davies

I thought that, with the popularity of the "Who is this" thread, that there would be long list of responses but sadly not.  But maybe you good people need a nudge.  

Ta.

Gareth Davies

Thank you Mr T.  

Ron Clifton

Gardiner Humphreys died in 1942. I don't know if newspapers published obituaries with photos in those days, but it might be worth a look.

The RE Museum might have a photo or drawn portrait of Gillan.

Ron

Gareth Davies

Thank you.

voltaire60

Is there anything in the old Firepower Museum stufff which is now down your way?   Presumably the shell-chuckers have the odd photograph of their old boys??

Gareth Davies

I think it's all in boxes and thus not accessible.

Gareth Davies

Mike has provided evidence that we think rules out Gillam and so we are left with Humphreys.  

IPT

I did slightly favour Humphreys, as he was seven years older than Gillam. He would have been 53 in the photo (in the days before Just for Men).

Gardiner Humphreys married Lady Emily Theresa Nugent, daughter of William St. George Nugent, 10th Earl of Westmeath, in 1906, so there should be a photo somewhere.

How have you ruled Gillam out?

charlie962
15 minutes ago, IPT said:

there should be a photo

Noted as a very quiet wedding so perhaps no photo ?

5afc95e02b7df_HumphriesNugentwedding.JPG.bccbda5b3dcf70e425e6d7a1996bf818.JPG

Gareth Davies
25 minutes ago, IPT said:

I did slightly favour Humphreys, as he was seven years older than Gillam. He would have been 53 in the photo (in the days before Just for Men).

Gardiner Humphreys married Lady Emily Theresa Nugent, daughter of William St. George Nugent, 10th Earl of Westmeath, in 1906, so there should be a photo somewhere.

How have you ruled Gillam out?

Mike/V60 found a shot of him but copyright or commercial stuff or some such means he can't post it.

voltaire60

It.'s on British Newspaper Archive- search on Reynold Gillam. The first item that comes up, from the Daily Sketch. It,s not only what Keith Roberts has said re. copyright from commercial sites that we all use-it's also that I cannot get the photograph isolated from the whole page it is on-so PDF and % enlargement will have to do.

I am a little surprised  that pics. of our Second XI generals are so hard to find. IWM has been a distinct disappointment. Given that the chap in question looks 50+ (to me) and doesn't look harassed or careworn makes me ponder whether he might be a Colonel GS.