Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diary 144 Siege Battery RGA

Dazscuba

Looking at a gent who DOW on the 16/6/1918 

He is GNR 75166 John Fredrick Kidson RGA

can anybody that is better than me find the diary for 144th Siege Batt RGA please?

C0DC72B1-45E0-4F5E-B39D-41AEA1EB3887.jpeg

Edited by Dazscuba

Dazscuba,

The official WD for 144 ends in Feb17 so is of no use to you as Kidson only joined that battery in April18, his prior service being with 35 SB. Therefore you require the Brigade diary 144 came under for the whole of 1918 which was 56 Brigade RGA. Downloadable for a small fee off the NA website ref: WO95/392/3 (which includes the 144 WD as well).

Rgds Paul

Thanks for the above Paul appreciated 

• 1 year later...

hi. my great grandfather was in the RGA in WW1  his service number was 82687 Albert Rushbrook, on his medal record it states he was in 144B RGA i was wondering if anybody could help in guiding me to where he served or what Battery he was in as i believe there was a 144 siege battery and a 144 heavy battery

thanks

Hello 3Royal Anglian, and welcome to the Forum!

If the reference 114B which you have appears opposite the names of the British War Medal and Victory Medal, it does not refer to either battery - it is simply a reperence to the particular medal roll, not to a particular unit. (This is something which trips most people up when they start researching.)

Others who know more about RGA numbering will probably be along shortly to give further advice.

Ron

Thanks for your swift reply Ron , you are correct it is written next to the victory medal as RGA144B . ( there have been more trips than walking upright ) bit disheartening as the numerous hours i have spent researching have now proven fruitless but i will persevere, thanks again , as without that information i would of spent ages researching both batterys

Hi 3Royal Anglian,

His medal roll record does show that Albert did serve with 144 Siege Battery. Though in the absence of a surviving service file, it is at least possible that he might have served with another unit too.

image.png.25b12d5b76ced53b95d99ed5e6b6ec22.png

Image sourced from Ancestry.co.uk

From surviving service records, the follow men started their service at 1 Depot (based in Derby):

82683 Norton  - 17.5.1916

82684 Newcombe - 17.5.1916

82686 Poore  - 17.5.1916

82688 Stevens  - 17.5.1916

82689 Truly  - 17.5.1916

Unfortunately, they followed different subsequent service routes, so you can't use their records to determine what happened to Albert.

Potentially relevant war diaries are here and here.

Regards

Chris. 

Hello again 3Royal Anglian

It looks as if some of your previous research may not be wasted after all! Good luck as you take it forward.

Ron

Hi 3Royal Anglian,

To be fair to Ron, he was right. The medal index card shows the medal roll reference. It's just a coincidence that the roll reference is the same as his unit. Others shown on the same page as Albert served in various units.

image.png.e92959ae5bbc8d0b0fb35e6ffa2a990a.png

Image sourced from Ancestry.co.uk

Regards

Chris

3Royal Anglian

From 1 Depot he would of been posted to 46 Coy 27.5.16; then along with 8 NCOs and 106 other OR's from there joined 144 Sge on 6.6.16. Embarking for the WF 16.8.16 via Southampton/ Havre. An original member and I would be confident 144 Sge was his only battery. He resided at 'Oakdene' Danbury Common near Chelmsford.

Rgds Paul

Edited by ororkep

Thank you all so much for the information you have given me . I have learned more in one afternoon from people with knowledge than 3 months of stumbling around in the dark with none . And Paul you were even correct down to his address . Thanks again to you all .

Paul