Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Memorial

Raster Scanning

The attached picture by E.S. Ball of Bedford has been puzzling me for at least 20 years. I have no idea of the location. I do not think it is Bedfordshire and suspect an a-joining County.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

10940427_1547172265550984_3298842073699632471_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can you move the watermark down a bit so I can see the housing behind please? Cant place why exactly, but it's familiar. Letchworth or nearby maybe?

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is it Newmarket?

https://goo.gl/images/xT4uaa

That'd be why its familiar then! Promising shout - cant find an image with the tower behind though.

Edited by steve fuller

Many thanks it does indeed look like Newmarket however the current location looks more open. I wonder if it has been moved?

I know a man ... bear with me, I'll ask

I think it's taken from the Bury Road, near its junction with  the modern day roundabout, in a roughly North Westerly direction, with what is Fordham Road behind, now the site of a Premier Inn.

The 1902 Old Map (1:2500) shows that spot as having a 'Pumping Station' and a Fire Station located there.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/564500/263500/12/100490

I'd say the Romanesque tower is the pumping station.

Trust me, that is unveiling day at Newmarket  Full details and more photos are on my website  www.undyingmemory.net

Tony

1 hour ago, agooner said:

Trust me, that is unveiling day at Newmarket  Full details and more photos are on my website  www.undyingmemory.net 

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Could you confirm what the previously mentioned tower was?

Or better still, provide a picture?

The buildings in the background are the old pumping station and fire station on Fordham Road, later demolished and replaced by Eastern Counties Bus Depot, then demolished and replaced by today's Waitrose. The photographer has his back to  the A.T.S.Tyre Service

9 hours ago, agooner said:

The buildings in the background are the old pumping station and fire station on Fordham Road, later demolished and replaced by Eastern Counties Bus Depot, then demolished and replaced by today's Waitrose. The photographer has his back to  the A.T.S.Tyre Service

Thanks Tony.

I thought it had to be.

To all, this has been a question I have had for at least 25 years. Thank you so much.