Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find enlistment date

ForeignGong

Hi All

No service or pension papers, but have found a newspaper report regarding a "Rural Tribunal" as Australia did not have conscription I'm not up on this.

Is a Rural Tribunal, where a soldier was trying to get exemption or an extension of his call up because of his employment?????

Any help greatly appreciated

Peter

Rural Tribunal 1.PNG

I'd say the tribunal is more the name for the collective  , like a court or justice of the peace for example,  than a specific thing like exemption.  

Post removed- Grantham referred  to is in the UK, not Oz.

Tribunals referred to are the tribunals held at local level tfor men of military age to seek exemption from military service under the Military Service Acts-for,usually, family or commercial reasons. The tribunals could also defer conscription for a specified time(which could be extended on further application).

Edited by Guest

First, to correct any confusion, the Grantham Journal referred to in post #1 was published in Grantham, Lincolnshire - nothing to do with Australia.

The tribunals, I believe were properly called Military Service Tribunals. On this Wikipedia link you will see that some were run by Rural District Councils, and as, it may be assumed, the tribunal in Grantham appears to have been run by the Rural District Council it was known as the Rural Tribunal   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Service_Tribunals

The report in the Grantham Journal of 13 January 1917, as available to view on the BNA and findmypast, went on to list the appellants' name, employers' names and workplaces/ abodes.

A search of the forum will find numerous topics searching on keywords such as "Military Service Tribunals" or "Military Tribunals".

6 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Hi All

No service or pension papers, but have found a newspaper report regarding a "Rural Tribunal" as Australia did not have conscription I'm not up on this.

Is a Rural Tribunal, where a soldier was trying to get exemption or an extension of his call up because of his employment?????

Any help greatly appreciated

Peter

Rural Tribunal 1.PNG

Who is the man you're looking for  ?

Craig

Thank you everyone that answers my question , I now can work out the rough date

I thought that it must have been as stated, for exemption from mil service.

If you put up a particular name, then it should be possible to work out their date of enlistment from their service number-by running it against the dates and service numbers  close to it either for surviving service records (burnt documents) and award lists for Silver war Badges-should be able to get it down to a week or less