Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major George Alan Green, MC, Tank Corps - Info request

MKC

All,

Looking for information or leads to same, for a Major George Alan Green, who is supposed to have served in the Tank Corps and was awarded an MC. As I'm not familiar with locating British service and medal records, I could use some help, please. I could not see him listed in Stephen Pope's book 'The First Tank Crews', so expect he served at a later date? 

Thank you,

Mike 

His MC (dated June 1918) wasn't an immediate award. He is listed n the Book of Honour as being "C of W" which I think is Controller of Workshops.  Fuller writes about him saying:

There was Colonel F. Searle, C.B.E., D.S.O., Chief Engineer of the Corps, a true civilian with a well-cut khaki jacket and lion-tamer's boots. He could not understand the military ritual, and we soldiers seemed never to be able to explain it to him. Throughout the war, in spite of his immense mechanical labors, I verily believe he had only one wish, and this was to erect a guillotine outside a certain holy place. There was Major G. A. Green, M.C., Colonel Searle's deputy, the father of terrible propositions, the visitor of battlefields, the searcher after shell-holes, the breather of profane words. The Corps owed a lot to Green; a firm believer in seeing things before criticizing them, he was a very great asset

Edited by Gareth Davies

Thanks Gareth,

It looks like he became the Deputy Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Tank Corps, according to a source that I was just directed to, so that would fit with the 'C of W' reference.

Would he have a service record buried away in the Nat Archives somewhere?

Mike

• 1 year later...

Back in May 2018, someone from the GWF responded directly to me with a newspaper/journal article about Major Green, viz:

"... according to a source that I was just directed to, so that would fit with the 'C of W' reference."

Unfortunately, I've had a computer glitch and cannot locate the contact,or the article.

If whoever it was is reading this, could you please make contact again with the details/link?

Thank you

Mike