Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just about WWI: 1898 Krag and M1892 Bayonet

4thGordons

I thought I might post some pictures of a relatively recent acquisition that just about makes it as a WWI pairing. (See Here for image of these in London in 1917 with the first units of the AEF to arrive)

DSC_0003.jpg.c8501b8a97d7d67e0fdcc588f918557d.jpgDSC_0004.jpg.e5233735ce8a01b0cfb537cf7b973d3b.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg.90339b10c486aa4797c3104a4695ccf8.jpgDSC_0008.jpg.37cabefaf51790672d7c2f7f6b5d2aba.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg.ba4ff67ae4ff1c23ad202e851a9a321e.jpgDSC_0006.jpg.51643cb0459c0a8e5e3cd74c4dd118b4.jpg

This is a relatively late produced bayonet and scabbard. As I understand it the bayonets were originally produced as blued but later all polished...I don't know if there was a later run of bluing or if this was done later (perhaps for war service?) The scabbard is a later variant with narrow wire hanger to allow use on the newer belts. (SEE HERE)

DSC_0011.jpg.9ed0afc733d1522ceeb82d07f5c97619.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg.9c0beed40607f8a6b1f99ce6335a0454.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg.3cda5dc54b73f98357f51f1e2b8c7314.jpgDSC_0017.jpg.8ab7c7d29f35bf42313445b0e86cf4a4.jpg

This rifle is marked as an M1898 and has a 1902 inspection cartouche on the the wrist so it goes well with the bayonet. The Krag which has an interesting side magazine design and a very smooth action, was replaced in service by the M1903 Springfield rifle but made it into WWI with training, cadet and home defence militias and - as the photos linked above show - some made it to Europe.

This rifle is also unit marked to the 8th IL Infantry which gives it some local interest for me too.

Chris

Hello Chris,

What a very nice looking pairing.

I would be interested to learn how the horizontal magazine feeds the rounds sideways and then vertically into the receiver.

Is there a curved surface that feeds the round upwards?

Also, did the rifleman reload with single rounds, or was a type of stripper clip used?

Regards,

JMB

JMB - this will probably show better than I could!

The rifle was designed to be loaded with single cartridges (and US ammunition belts at the time carried single cartridges in loops) but there was a design for a device that allowed clip loading called the "Parkhurst device" which was I understand only ever issued experimentally and are very uncommon.

Chris

Chris, thanks for the links.

Now have a better understanding of it.

Regards,

JMB

nice un messed with rifle. and thanks for  the link to those photos. you wouldn't happen to have photos of krags in ww2 usage?

2 hours ago, free1954 said:

nice un messed with rifle. and thanks for  the link to those photos. you wouldn't happen to have photos of krags in ww2 usage?

No - sorry never looked (and I suspect off topic for here) I would assume by that point mostly Cadets/OTC etc.

I believe Krags (slightly different design/calibre) were used by Denmark/Norway up to WWII they were certainly in use there earlier - I believe the Germans also produced a version in a captured factory (I assume in 7.92mm Mauser). A quick googling shows accounts of Krags in US in US Navy in WWII (aboard minesweepers etc) so I am sure there are pictures out there.

Chris

By WW2 some had made their way as salute weapons for the American Legion and VFW.  I think most now have been returned to CMP.

new3.2

• 1 year later...

You never know who's got what, even up to and including WW2, I remember many years ago that black powder trapdoor springfields  45.70 cal were still being held as reserve weapons during WW1 and remained so until disposed of in 1947.  I wish I could remember when I read that but its over 40 years ago.

Most of the oldies probably hung around in National Guard armories until a CO became aware of them.

khaki

Edited by Khaki

Krags in WW I were mostly used as training weapons .  A small number did reach France .  The first group of Railway troops in the AEF carried Krag rifles

Many old/obsolete weapon  could be found in rear echelon formations where troops needed some sort of weapon, mainly for guard details

French train troops, those in logistical units behind the front, used GRAS rifles, often only one rifle for several men ith limited ammunition  .  Motorcycle dispatch riders were issued Winchester 1892 44=40 rifles

The book “The Kraft Rifle” by W.S. Brophy is the best book you can get on the Krag

I see a stock cartouche on the left side. The photo’s are a little dark, could you please try to send some more with brighter lighting, for markings

The Kraft, loads from side, yes, when you open the gate, it retracts a small spring and leaf type set up, closing, the “ leaf, or similar to a follower in a detachable magazine pushes in, that is how bullets feed “ up into chamber, the bottom of magazine simply “ rolls” from flat to ramp into bolt/ chamber area for bolt to push/ load next round, I have a few in my collection, U.S., Danish, Norwegian, sadly, I have never fired any, Nice guns!

Krags are an interesting family.  Definitely a lot of the bad ideas of 1st gen smokeless rifles, all tied together, but slick, fun rifles in spite of it.

By the US models they got rid of some of the worst ideas (the Danish one has a barrel jacket like the Gew88, and the loading gate swings horizontally), but redesigned the actions in a manner that actually reduced the locking surfaces.  It's a special gun that is both better AND worse than its predecessors...

I have a Danish Krag, and shoot it.  Fantastically fun, comically obsolete.

Edited by N White

When the Krags were adopted by the US Army in 1892 . rifle design was in a state of flux

Magazine designs, single column vs staggered box, and clip/charger loading were still being thrashed out

Reason US Army went for Krag was in the magazine cutoff which allowed single rounds to be loaded  when still keeping full magazine available

Ordinance bureaucrats believed if gave ordinary soldier a magazine fed weapon would blast off mall their ammunition in one burst

Same type of backward thinking which kept breech loading/magazine weapons out of Union soldiers hands in Civil War

The Krag has the most smooth action you will ever shoot.  It was a Norwegian design.  There was also a carbine version for the cavalry and some were used as sighting weapons on field artillery.  .30-40 ammunition was still loaded at Frankfort Arsenal into the 1930's.

Illinigander 

I believe that the New Zealand troops went ashore at Gallipoli with the obsolete long Lee using the more later but incorrect 303 ammunition, I may not be 100% accurate on that but read that the NZers replaced them with picked up No1 Mk3's  

khaki

Hey N White

I envy you, I have several Krag’s but never shot any, my own fault

For the Danish, I use 8x56r blown out.

Head is slightly undersize, but loading bp pressure loads, (24gr 5744, which I use in my 8x58r Rolling Block) it does not matter.  

Must be nice N White, which Krag do you shoot?

Steve, I only have the Danish Krag.  A good friend has a Norwegian, of them all I would say that is the "best".

I love the ridiculousness of the Danish though.

20191117_140312.jpg