Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. RICHARD KNIGHT, 208 SQUADRON, RFC/RAF

I draw to the attention of GWF members , the following lot in the auction of Henry Aldridge in Devizes, Wiltshire on 12Tth May 2018. I must stress that I have no connection with either the auctioneers or  knowledge of the vendor. the thread is put up merely to record that such materials actually exist, whatever their subsequent fate against the hammer and afterwards

(Sorry it's a bit close to the time)

Lot 135
WWI: An exceptional photographic archive assembled by Lieutenant Richard Knight a reconnaissance/night bomber in 206 squadron during WWI. He was promoted to Lieutenant in the RAF on amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service. The lot includes a number of aerial photographs taken by Lt. Knight of the trenches including one remarkable image taken seconds after he has dropped some bombs. A significant highlight is an image of Manfred Von Richthofen with his famous Red Albatros DIII bi-plane in the background taken on August 19th 1917. This remarkable album contains 41 photographs of RNAS, Royal Flying Corps and RAF Personnel, aircraft, bombing raids including one of Lieutenant Knights DH9 while with 206 squadron with handwritten notation by Knight dating it to early 1918, etc. Also included in the lot are a number of original documents and character references relating to Lieutenant Knights service in World War I dating from 1918-19. Each photo measures 7ins. x 5ins. 
Estimate:  £3000 - 5000