Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Henry Edwards

MikeEdwards

Can anyone shed any light on this photo of my Grandad please - George Henry Edwards. Our family would love to fight out his Battalion and when he fought eat as we've got no information on him. Many Thanks Mike Edwards

Grandad George Henry Edwards.jpg

Most probably a Driver (spurs), Royal Field Artillery (Artillery cap badge).

Could you give us a clue when and where he was born, please ? His name is not uncommon and the Artillery was probably the biggest regiment by far.

There is a medal index card for a Dvr George H Edwards RFA 105641, entitled to British War and Victory medals but I find nothing else on him. It is always possible he is listed as just George Edwards in which case there are a lot of possibilities.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

These are the hits on Findmypast for George Henry Edwards, Driver, Field Artillery, to give an idea. But I would be surprised if we were lucky enough to stumble across the right man first time !

Charlie                    

5af5e37d142b9_EdwardsGHRFAFMPhits.JPG.af1ace78f5e4995283d6e8a6dc87c220.JPG

Edited by charlie962

1 minute ago, MikeEdwards said:

That would make him unlikely to go abroad before 1918 or later. If he didn't serve overseas he wouldn't even have a medal index card.

I suggest we need to be more definite about his birth date. The photo shows someone reasonably mature, not a teenager ? Do you know when or where it was taken?

There is a George Henry Edwards born 1904 Toxteth and a George H Edwards born 1894 Liverpool, both on 1911 census returns for Liverpool showing their respective parents. What were his parents' names? Where did he live ? Any family stories about military service?

Charlie

Hi Charlie,  we think he was born in 1904 and married Ivy Armstrong. His Dad was Henry Edwards from Shrawardine (Shropshire) and his mum was called Florence.  Cheers Mike

5 minutes ago, MikeEdwards said:

born in 1904

The 1911 Census has him at Mozart St, Lodge Lane.

As I indicated above he will be too young to have gone abroad thus we are unlikely to find any papers for him except possibly Royal Artillery Attestations on FindmyPast.

Charlie

Mike, it is only the attestations very early 1920s that have any detail in the register. But you may just be lucky- eg the first item on the list? Do let us know any progress, please.

Charlie

This George Henry is shown as 20 yrs old in May 1923 when he signed on for 4 years with the Territorial Force. He was Discharged at the end of this service, 1927 as a Bombardier. It lists his occupation as motor driver. (not to be confused with a Royal Artillery Driver, who rode horses!

Frustratingly not quite enough info to be sure its your GF.

His age of 20 yrs without any months looks possibly to be a rounded figure when all the others on the page have yrs and months. Perhaps.

Born Everton. Would a Toxteth man have said that ? But I couldn't see a birth entry for a Geo Henry in 1903 +/- 1yr in Everton.

Nothing on the back of the photo ?

Someone else might advise whether it is possible that a Service Record is still held by the MoD/Glasgow. You could try this IWM page which has a link to forms for 'Other Ranks who served after 1920' .

Charlie

Edited by charlie962
IWM link added

I'll also check my books re Bandolier over Left shoulder moved to Right in 192... (may help date photo)

I was confusing with Lanyards and full dress cross belts!;  The bandolier continued to be worn until 1929, and always over left shoulder.

Spurs were worn by mounted troops of the RA. Even RGA, where guns were horse drawn, wore spurs post WW1. (We risk wandering off topic).

Edited by charlie962

On 11/05/2018 at 22:45, charlie962 said:

It lists his occupation as motor driver.

Ancestry has free access to 1939 Register today. I find the following entry

George H Edwards b 19/5/03, living at Huyton with Roby, lancs. Motor Driver. Could be the man in the RA Attestations. Other people in the house- Ivy Davies b 22/3/06, Iris Edwards b 28/2/33, Jean Edwards Nulley b 15/1/35 and others not divulged. Does this sound like your ancestors?

Charlie

• 2 years later...

Hi Charlie, long time since I’ve been on this chat, but yes these are my grandfathers details. Think the RA Attestation PDF narrows it down to him.

14 hours ago, MikeEdwards said:

long time since I’ve been on this chat

Welcome back!

The 1903 birth date per the 1939 Register does seem to match with the RA Attestation. So you could contact MoD Glasgow and see if they hold anything for him. With covid shutdown there will be a long delay.

Government site is here

Of course born 1903 means too young to serve in the Great War unless he'd dropped 3 years off his age ! Probably had WW2 service ? But that's outside the scope of this forum.

charlie