Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maud Lilian Andrews

YvonneFenter

The IWM Memorials Register has details of a lost plaque, that was in St Matthews Church in Liverpool Road, Manchester (now demolished) that said ...

"TO THE MEMORY OF MAUD LILIAN ANDREWS, BORN 26 SEPTEMBER 1886, DIED 14TH AUGUST 1918, MEMBER OF 202 V. A. DETACHMENT, RUSHOLME, EAST LANCASHIRE. SHE SERVED IN NEWBURY AND HETHERLANDS AUXILIARY MILITARY RED CROSS HOSPITAL 1915 - 1918. THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY THE HOSPITAL STAFF"

See https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/43949

Although I can find death registration etc for Maud I've not yet found any evidence of her hospital career, newspaper reports about how she died, etc.

Does anyone have any info about her please?

Thanks a lot!

It is possible that she died during the Spanish Influenza pandemic, along with many others and could be just one of a list of civilian deaths from that cause reported in the local newspaper rather than having her own separate mention.

I had three VADs in one VAD Hospital that I researched who all died from this cause in 1918.

Dave

Thanks Dave .... Yes, I'd guess you're right and she probably was a flu victim.

I'm particularly interested to try to find out exactly what her VAD hospital role was, to determine her eligibility for a specific memorial. 

Unfortunately the Red Cross VAD database is still offline, but FindMyPast has a copy, and I can't spot her in that.

Fingers crossed the VAD database will be back online soon, which makes searching the specific hospitals easier.

I have been left wanting when I tried to research this woman. I got her name from the Nursing Memorial Appeal where she was shown as a V.A.D. who served in Newbury, Berkshire. I was unable to find her BRCS record card when I looked. It must be said that these cards should not be taken as gospel as being complete. There are many instances where I know of a VAD without a card.

I remember reading somewhere that the Red Cross records were sent to members in about April 1919. They were sent because the British Red Cross didn't know themselves what their members had done during the war. I have seen some cards for deceased members, but not many.

Regards,

Alf McM