Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Indefatigable

1939 Register also on Ancestry

Pighills
13 hours ago, phsvm said:

Kim - don't get too wedded to the idea of only using either Ancestry or FMP.  ...

Oh I know only too well the differences between the two and if I can’t find something on one I always look on the other.  It’s just that I prefer Ancestry.  I also (when searching BMD’s) often have better results searching Free BMD and Lancashire OPC (when searching Lancashire, obvs).  Then there’s always a good old fashioned trip to the library resources, the county archives and even the National Archives - failing that a rummage round cemetries usually keeps me quiet too :D

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
7 minutes ago, Pighills said:

I also (when searching BMD’s) often have better results searching Free BMD 

Agree. An excellent resource.

hazelclark

Thanks TGM!

H.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks for highlighting that the free access ends Sunday May 13th.

charlie962

I took advantage of Ancestry's free offer this w/e and checked some 25 of my old researches; very useful to confirm previously uncertain military/civil links in 3 cases. Original errors on dates probably  in at least 2 cases. Transcription errors by Ancestry in 2  cases that I've noted so far.  But generally I found it interesting to flesh out some civil background.

Great (in fact vital) to see the originals. Those little marginal notes on the right hand side are intriguing-  several men noted as army pensioners, one even quoting his WW1 army number and unit. Most of course are blank.

Charlie