Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Indefatigable

1939 Register also on Ancestry

Indefatigable

Good Morning

Not sure if posted on correct Forum please move as necessary. I have just discovered that the 1939 Register is also obtainable on Ancestry as well as FMP.

regards

Indefatigable

BillyH

Just been having a look at it.

About time too I reckon!

BillyH.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Brilliant, thanks for that gem.

1939 Register

Why is my auntie's maiden surname crossed out, and her married surname put in, when she didn't get married until 1953?

tootrock

Has this been transcribed a second time for Ancestry? I ask because my mother's birthday was correctly given as 1913 in the Findmypast version, but it is given as 1843 in the Ancestry version.

The 1939 Register was used by the National Health Service for many years after 1939, so records of marriage were entered in it later.

Martin

ss002d6252
11 minutes ago, tootrock said:

Has this been transcribed a second time for Ancestry? I ask because my mother's birthday was correctly given as 1913 in the Findmypast version, but it is given as 1843 in the Ancestry version.

I'd presume so - I believe that FMP had done their own transcriptions.

The 1939 Register was used by the National Health Service for many years after 1939, so records of marriage were entered in it later.

In to at least the 1980's I have been told.

I've just looked at my grandfathers household and now I have the mystery as to who the redacted entry is for. Can't be my dad as he was born in 1942.
EDIT:
Must be my late Aunt Norma, b1936 (I though she was born after 1939 but I'm wrong)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

charlie2

Thanks for the heads up.

Has anyone any idea why male surnames have been altered? I’m interested in the James Hizard/Elliot on the attached. He may just be a relative who disappears off the face of the earth after a 1916 casualty list entry.

E2D942E3-1B78-4F37-B626-ADB8CC436983.jpeg

David_Underdown

As noted in their record info (under heading "Redactions" towards the bottom of the search page), Ancestry have access only to the redacted images, and will only get an annual update of newly opened records - by means of a new set of redacted images (which they will then have to transcribe for themselves), rather than the ongoing rolling openings that FMP can do as they have the original full amster image set.  You also won't be able to make record opening requests direct through Ancestry, you'd have to do it as an FOI request through TNA (and you could be waiting for over a year to see the open record on Ancestry if you timed a request badly, due to the lag while they get redacted images transcribed)

Edited by David_Underdown

David_Underdown
Just now, charlie2 said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Has anyone any idea why male surnames have been altered? I’m interested in the James Hizard/Elliot on the attached. He may just be a relative who disappears off the face of the earth after a 1916 casualty list entry.

It would have to be something like deed poll I'd imagine, whatever the underlying reason, it was probably via the NHS that the change was made as described above.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

In to at least the 1980's I have been told.

Yes. The new style 10 digit NHS number was fully implemented in 1996, making the old style 'ABCD 123/4' format obsolete. What is interesting is that the actual 1939 Register was still used for reference and amendments so long after 1939 and 1948.

Coldstreamer

Thanks for telling us. Didn't exactly arrive with a fanfare !

westkent78

Wish they, or FMP, had scanned the right hand page a bit more- plenty of useful information about WW2 service on that page it seems.

keithmroberts

That info is possibly restricted under the terms of their use of the data.

Buffnut453
38 minutes ago, westkent78 said:

Wish they, or FMP, had scanned the right hand page a bit more- plenty of useful information about WW2 service on that page it seems.

Concur.  It's not just WW2 service.  Looking up one of my relatives, it mentioned his WW1 service as a Sgt Pilot in 11 Sqn.  Clearly, not everyone's WW1 service would be recorded.  In this specific case, he tried to re-enlist in the RAF in 1940 but apparently they refused him.  Clearly, he was keen to get back in uniform, and perhaps thought that highlighting his WW1 experience would help with that.

David_Underdown

For various reasons essentially relating to the ongoing NHS usage (and hence medical info) of the documents the final column could not be selected as part of the record to be transferred to TNA.

petwes

Thank you all for the news that the 1939 register has appeared on Ancestry to a very muffled roll of drums!  I can really stop thinking about a FMP subscription for a while ( except for the higher quality scans, the transcriptions into clear English, a search engine that does not rely on Artificial unIntelligence,  roads, sanitation, viticulture etc.).

You have also answered my first question as to why my unmarried, in 1939, Auntie's maiden name was struck out and changed to her married name!

Thanks again

Peter

charlie2
8 hours ago, David_Underdown said:

It would have to be something like deed poll I'd imagine, whatever the underlying reason, it was probably via the NHS that the change was made as described above.

Thank you. 

MickLeeds

Here is a good guide to the 1939 register from the NA.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

Mick.

's

Edited by MickLeeds

Indefatigable

Good Evening

Following my original post I received an email later in the morning from Ancestry advising of the availability of the register and I also found out when looking on the web that the My Heritage site also has the 1939 Register and that it may have been released yesterday on Ancestry. Social Media comments seem to reveal that some people are finding differences between what appears on FMP and Ancestry. Some people have also stated Ancestry seem to be keeping access hidden which I did discover for myself as well.

regards

Indefatigable

David_Underdown

MyHeritage has transcriptions only (from FindMyPast).  Ancestry received a set of images a few months ago, the redacted images as at a particular point of time on FindMyPast (which they've since had to transcribe themselves and upload), so there will be stuff that's come open on FindMyPast since, which will still show as closed on Ancestry.

hazelclark

Thanks for posting this.

H.

Pighills

You can find stuff on Ancestry that you can’t on FMP.  Also, there is at least two family members still alive who I can see on the register.  So glad it’s on Ancestry now.  I don’t have to chose which one to go with, it’s Ancestry every time, their searches work better for me.

phsvm

Craig - the reason some entries for people who are now deceased are still redacted is because TNA haven't been notified that the person is deceased.  These can be opened if evidence of death, in other words a death certificate, is sent to TNA.

As I understand it each company has done their own transcriptions so different errors will have crept in.

Kim - don't get too wedded to the idea of only using either Ancestry or FMP.  I'can find my grandmother and two aunts on FMP with no problem but on Ancestry because their surname has been transcribed incorrectly it is impossible to find them using the usual search criteria.  On the other hand, someone I've been trying to find for ages on FMP without success jumped out of the screen as soon as I searched on Ancestry.  The reason?  FMP had his year of birth out by 10 years although looking at the original register it is very clearly written.

One advantage I have found with Ancestry is that it's possible to search on actual dob instead of just the year.

I'm told, although I haven't put this to the test, that Ancestry have also listed names and dob of people born less than 100 years ago so they come up when you search for them but the actual entry is still redacted.

It also appears that the Ancestry images are at least a year old - Seach for John Percy Guy b1874 in Leamington Spa.  On FMP the entry under his name (John P H Guy b. 1919) is visible.  On Ancestry it's still redacted.

ss002d6252
25 minutes ago, phsvm said:

I'm told, although I haven't put this to the test, that Ancestry have also listed names and dob of people born less than 100 years ago so they come up when you search for them but the actual entry is still redacted.

Doesn't work in respect of my aunt's details.

Craig

phsvm

Did say I hadn't tried it!  Have now and it didn't bring up my mother who was born in 1920.

That's not to say it doesn't work for others.

ss002d6252
14 minutes ago, phsvm said:

Did say I hadn't tried it!  Have now and it didn't bring up my mother who was born in 1920.

That's not to say it doesn't work for others.

Very true - have to live with what it can gives us !

Craig