Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital ship (Dardanelles)

tbirduk

Can anyone identify the hospital ship named on the attached report? I think it saya HS Socidau but I can not find any references?
 Thanks

Capture.JPG

TBird,

I suspect Hospital Ship Soudan.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I was thrown by the apparent dot making an i

Notes on the work of the RN hospital ship SOUDAN at the Dardanelles / Collingwood G T

Journal of the RN Medical Service 1916 Vol 2 p.200

A record of the work in the RN hospital ship SOUDAN, from February 1915 to December 1915 / Reah H JRNMS 1916 Vol 2 p.208

https://archive.org/stream/JRNMSVOL2Images/JRNMS_VOL_2#page/n215/mode/1up

Edited by seaJane

• 3 months later...

I have no firm data for the entire period. However, an RMA gunner from the destroyer HMS ALARM (Rosyth-based 2nd Flotilla) died in SOUDAN on 18 October 1914. He was buried at Kirkwall so SOUDAN was probably in Scapa Flow at that date. Also, HMS ESKIMO was at Liverpool with SOUDAN on 17 December 1914 [deck log of ESKIMO].

• Admin
57 minutes ago, Jane said:

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the RN hospital ship SOUDAN between 1 August 1914 and 8 January 1915? Thanks.

Welcome Jane

At some point (Horatio2 will probably be able to clarify) the ship was in collision with the Needles and then underwent a refit and overhaul. It is possible that both these events predate the time period you are looking for. Sadly the documents here have not yet been digitised. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=soudan+hospital+ship&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv&_p=1900&Refine+dates=Refine

There is also a private log book held at the Wellcome Library which may hold the answers http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/N13790974

Regards

David

image.png.653ff55707b8a43bdf789971f56a3dc7.png

Edited by DavidOwen

What a splendid find. It confirms my previous dates and also an IWM note that she handled survivors from the sinking of HMS HAWKE. The "Needles" episode is new to me but it turns out to be the SS NEEDLES and not the landmark on the Isle of Wight.

• Admin
1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

What a splendid find. It confirms my previous dates and also an IWM note that she handled survivors from the sinking of HMS HAWKE. The "Needles" episode is new to me but it turns out to be the SS NEEDLES and not the landmark on the Isle of Wight.

Just read it all the way through and the level of detail had me hooked. Pleased the library have made it freely available - I wonder what other gems they may have hidden away there?

Shame about the tug in the Needles episode!

Many thanks to you both - David and horatio2! My Grandfather was assigned to the Soudan on 1 August 1914 according to his Navy record, but it doesn't say on his record where it went if anywhere! The next entry on his record is RUN 8.1.15 Soudan Birkenhead, which I understand means he deserted while the ship was in Birkenhead. He never returned to the Navy but, under a different name, enlisted in the Royal Marine Artillery a month later in London, and joined the BEF in France a couple of weeks later. He was with the Heavy Howitzer Brigade - Gun 2 until the end of the war. I've been trying to piece together his movements and where he was based etc and what may have made him RUN away from the Navy in the first place. Again many thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.