Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reporting of Military Medal Awards in Local Newspapers

Buffnut453

A relative of mine was awarded a MM and I'm trying to track down details of the reason for the award.  It's been suggested that I try local newspaper archives as these often mentioned details about the actions for which medals were awarded.  

My question is when would a local newspaper publish an article about the award of a MM?  Would it be after the award had been gazetted?  

Many thanks,
Mark

5af203647c7f3_CaptW.F.LindsayMCcardandLGCitation.jpg.b9a0e7ee0cac2b74576e0bd040c5ac86.jpg5af203b4bad45_NewspaperMCawardandObituary.jpg.e5dfb1da175d449874f9ed7bb0c00a10.jpgDear Mark,

My grandfather's MC was mentioned in the local Australian (NSW) newspapers on 19 Feb 1919, having been gazetted in London on 1 Feb 1919. 

No doubt local MMs enjoyed similar reporting.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Thanks Kim.  That's what I suspected.  I can now start my research using the gazette date as the earliest possible publication date.  

Cheers,

Mark

Dear Mark,

Super! Glad I could help in some way. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Personally I'd look earlier. 

Pte A is told by CO he will get a medal,  he writes home straight away to tell parents who tell local paper. 3 months later it gets gazetted, 2 months after the paper had run a story on local boy done good. 

There is a HUGE database of MM in papers on the British medal forum.

Dear Coldstreamer,

Sure, the earlier, the better. 'Leave no stone unturned', and so on: I couldn't agree more!

However, in the case of my grandfather (a Coy Cdr of 53 Bn AIF, wounded), the liklihood of his award of the MC was apparent (and in official print), only days after the event: a VC action, incidentally.

Nonetheless - possibly due to the remoteness of New South Wales - the 'Military Cross Hero' newspaper report appeared months later...

Capt W. F. Lindsay can be seen wearing his MC, at the left of this posting.

Kindest regards,

Kim.5af2d6ebd8cef_8Sep1918Honoursrec.53BnAIF.jpg.ec9d9ebd5e6d59fdecdc269517a5ed72.jpg5af2d70ba5a92_53BnAIFDecorations.thumb.jpg.05d7eb135e567888b762214ac6fa9137.jpg

4 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Personally I'd look earlier. 

Pte A is told by CO he will get a medal,  he writes home straight away to tell parents who tell local paper. 3 months later it gets gazetted, 2 months after the paper had run a story on local boy done good. 

There is a HUGE database of MM in papers on the British medal forum.

Thanks for the tip about the British Medal Forum.  I'll take a gander over there.

Part of my problem is that the local library which holds the local newspaper collection has been closed for renovation for 18 months with no due-date for reopening.  The Local History Archive staff will entertain research requests but I'd like to give them some tighter date range if at all possible.  I also need to see what, if any, costs are associated given that the public apparently can't access the materials directly.

My fear is that the newspaper article may just bundled my relative together with a bunch of his mates rather than describing individual actions.  Some 8 lads from the local TF Field Ambulance were awarded MMs for actions during 31 Jul to 4 Aug at 3rd Ypres, one of which was a Bar to a previous MM.  It was an amazing achievement by a relatively small unit and evidence of the courage displayed in the horrendous conditions of that battle.