Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt 4115 Walter Saxton 1/5 Notts & Derbys

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from a very warm Sherwood Forest  . There is a noble hunting party in the forest today so I am keeping out of the way.

This weeks research project is Pvt 4115  Walter Saxton 1/5th  Nottts  & Derbys.  K.I.A.  1/7/16

All that I have is that he was born Eastwood , Notts  and  enlisted Derby ( Eastwood, Notts ).

That is in "Soldiers died in the Great War". Commonwealth War Graves have him commemorated on the Thiepval  Memorial.

So if anyone has anymore information I would be very grateful .

Old Robin Hood

The war gratuity shows he had 16 months qualifying service at the time of death - this indicates enlistment in the month from 2 March 1915. His effects were paid to his widow Georgina.

Craig

There were two Walter Saxton's born in Eastwood - 1885 and 1888. They both lived there until at least 1911 however the 1911 census shows that Walter, husband of Georgina, was the man born in 1885 (a coal hewer).

Craig

Hi Craig and Chris

Fantastic information. Knowing who his wife was really helped. In a very short time I found a great deal more.

( even a photograph )  so a complete success. Very many thanks.  Our city library has a subscription to F.M.P.

so I will leave the safety of the Forest and venture there in the very near future.

You guys are really great. 

Old Robin Hood