Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie MK1 Star? Is my son right?

Alan24

I picked this up yesterday for £15 thinking it was a bargain, as it all looks complete, and maybe WW2.

Inside is written the name "C.J. Klapprett 318" - or similar...

I've been through the WW1 MICs and cannot match the name to any service number 318.

I would have expected a WW2 example to have a 7 digit number.

My 11 year old son amazed me when he told me that it was a Brodie MK1 Star, refurbished from WW1 helmets in the 1930s. Is he right?

I bought it for my son to go with his P37 webbing set as he's quite keen on doing the re-enactments when we attend 1940s weekends.

Regards

Alan.

Hat 2.JPG

hat 1.JPG

Alan,

I can't comment on the helmet, but is it possible that the '318' is the last three digits of his service number? I seem to remember from my days in the RAF that we quite often just quoted our last three.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane  

My initial impression is that it’s an early MkII with the first type (for a MkII) liner. You can see a MKI* in civil defence black in this thread:

Does your helmet have any stamped markings around the inner rim or by the chinstrap attachments? WWI and WWII markings tend to be fairly distinct.

Edited by peregrinvs

11 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

Does your helmet have any stamped markings around the inner rim or by the chinstrap attachments? WWI and WWII markings tend to be fairly distinct.

No markings at all. Can't see a makers stamp or date.

Found this clip which is quite informative and seems to confirm its a MK1 star.

12 hours ago, kloughnane said:

Alan,

I can't comment on the helmet, but is it possible that the '318' is the last three digits of his service number? I seem to remember from my days in the RAF that we quite often just quoted our last three.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane  

The name does appear again under the insert. C J Klapprott which only shows up about 7 times on Freebmd mainly in Northamptonshire. 

Regards

Alan.

I can see the thinking, looking at the width of the brim at the sides. Is there any trace of a Heat/Batch number stamped on the underside of the brim? This will be 2 or 3 letters (capitals) followed buy 2 or 3 numbers. If the stamping is there, it may well have been painted over by another coat of paint in the refurbishing process but it would be good to see if there is such a stamp.

David

The shell shape still looks more like a MkII to me, but I could be wrong. A side on view of the front would help.

BTW. If it was rebuilt as a MkI*, I’d very doubtful that the markings written inside were of WWI vintage.

I am probably wrong, but I was told by a pundit that the helmets with the three holes in, for a neck screen, were WW2 South African, but I am only repeating parrot fashion.

I never found out if they were SA made or simply war stock, ex UK.

1 hour ago, T8HANTS said:

I am probably wrong, but I was told by a pundit that the helmets with the three holes in, for a neck screen, were WW2 South African, but I am only repeating parrot fashion.

I never found out if they were SA made or simply war stock, ex UK.

You may be onto something there T8.

The name Klapprott does not appear on Freebmd until 1948 and other Google searches indicate a strong German connection.

I'm now wondering if your south Africa link has some Boer or afrikaans connection.

I had assumed that the 3 holes were something to do with neck protection but made by the user rather than as manufactured, so that's an interesting note.

Come to think of it, the you tube piece indicates a Dutch connection, I wonder if Klapprott could be Dutch?

Regards

Alan.

Edited by Alan24

1 hour ago, peregrinvs said:

The shell shape still looks more like a MkII to me, but I could be wrong. A side on view of the front would help.

BTW. If it was rebuilt as a MkI*, I’d very doubtful that the markings written inside were of WWI vintage.

Does this help?

20180508_194032_resized.jpg

I have a couple of the supposed SA helmets, one was most definitely in desert yellow.  They were quite common about 25 years ago.