The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soltau POW camp exact location

tom bowler

Also, the exact location of Munsterlager Lazarett.

I know both areas intimately, having served in the Army in the 1970's and did many exercises on and around Soltau and Luneberger heide. I was mainly based at Hohne garrison.

If anyone knows the exact location of where both these sites were , I would be immensely grateful .

The suburb of Friedrichseck was built on the site of the Soltau PoW camp.

Charlie

5 hours ago, charlie2 said:

The suburb of Friedrichseck was built on the site of the Soltau PoW camp.

Charlie

Excellent, thank you Charlie 2 . I'll have a mooch later when the sun goes down and pore over the maps .

My Grandad was interned there from the Kaiserschlacht.

I‘ve drawn a blank with the exact location of the Lazarett. There are postcards showing the Lazarett but they are just buildings within Munster-Lager training area. There is an unpublished history entitled „Geschichte des Truppenübungsplatzes Munster-Lager“ written by Hauptmann Platz, who was the Adjutant between 1922 and 1926, held at the training area HQ. The history apparently contains many maps, plans and photos. 

Charlie

On 5/8/2018 at 06:54, charlie2 said:

I‘ve drawn a blank with the exact location of the Lazarett. There are postcards showing the Lazarett but they are just buildings within Munster-Lager training area. There is an unpublished history entitled „Geschichte des Truppenübungsplatzes Munster-Lager“ written by Hauptmann Platz, who was the Adjutant between 1922 and 1926, held at the training area HQ. The history apparently contains many maps, plans and photos. 

Charlie

Wow !  Thanks for your effort there Charlie2. Much appreciated .

I used to ski in your area every weekend in the winter .