Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Deceased Men of D/276 Battery

wmfinch

Hello All,

The research group that I belong to is searching for medals, memorial plaques, and most importantly, descendants of the following Artillery Men, who all fought and died with D/276 Battery, 55th West Lancashire Division during WW1.  We are not looking for records or cemeteries as we have all that.

No 681817 Driver H Banks

No L/35729 Gunner Samuel Archibald Bastick

No 895049 Gunner Robert George Bunn (from Stratford, London)

No 681830 Gunner A E Dixon

No 241964 Gunner John Thomas Dixon (from East Manywells, Cullingworth, Bradford)

No 133699 Lance Bombardier Joseph J Edgar (from Hamilton, Ontario)

No 631909 Gunner A F Edward (from Hopeman, Morayshire)

No 205713 Gunner T Elliott (from Drumeel, Ballinalee, Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford)

No 681829 Lance Bombardier E Evans

No 656231 Gunner T Ferguson

No 681813 Bombardier J T Godwin

No '16' Gunner W Graham

No 895614 Corporal John William Holland (of Bourne Street, Eastbourne)

No 681768 Bombardier Harry Jessop (of Sandon Street, Liverpool - native of Wakefield)

No 681752 Gunner Percy Gainham Jones (of Lisburn Lane, Tue Brook, Liverpool)

No 1115 Gunner Joseph Matthews (of Prince Edwin Street, Liverpool)

No 681785 Gunner Martin Milne (of Cardwell Street, Edge Hill, Liverpool)

No 656298 Acting Bombardier A B Reid (from Scotland)

No 681838 Bombardier Arthur Reginald Rodgers (from Portman Road, Wavertree, Liverpool)

No 1151 Bombardier Robert Room (from Liverpool)

No 165411 Fitter Gerard Atkins Scott 

No 646402 Acting Bombardier T Tarbet

No 681755 Frank Thomas (from Christchurch Road, Birkenhead)

No 681869 Gunner H S Thomas (from Walton Lane, Walton, Liverpool)

No 681775 Driver Thomas Thompson (from Arundel Street, Liverpool)

No 21887 Lance Bombardier A Williams

Please note that any of the '681xxx' were likely to have been Territorials before the War, and probably knew each other well.

With grateful thanks.

V/R

Wayne

Sorry, I should have also asked for photographs of the men!

As you have records perhaps giving year of birth would help people to locate the correct individuals. Any pointers might help in search for pics etc. 

An obvious avenue for finding relatives is to check for family trees on genealogy sites and then contact the people who have put the tree up.

Hello Mark,

Many thanks for the reply ... I just spotted a major one word error in my original posting ... I should have said  "we are not looking for records OF cemeteries" not OR!  My fault for rushing!  We haven't yet searched for any War Records!

When I first started to research my Grandfather, I discovered that he won his M.M. fighting  alongside No. 681886 Sgt Cyril E Gourley when he won his V.C. Twelve men were decorated in the same action, and I posted an appeal on this wonderful Forum to find other descendants.  Three years later, it came up trumps when the Grandson of No. 681795 Acting Seargeant Edward James Thornley D.C.M. contacted me (spot the 681xxx connection).  We have formed an informal group, which now includes descendants of almost all of the the men.  I am hoping something similar may happen this time.

Having said that,  we do have all of their dates of death and some of their ages:

Banks died 15.2.19

Bastick died 3.6.18

Bunn died 24.7.17 aged 21

Dixon died 13.9.17

Dolphin died 10.4.18 aged 19

Edgar died 28.10.18 aged 29

Edward died 18.4.18 aged 26

Elliott died 21.10.18 aged 17 

Evans died 13.5.18

Ferguson died 18.9.17

Godwin died 14.9.17

Graham died 8.8.16

Holland died 21.7.18 aged 34

Jessop died 31.7.17 aged 19

Jones died 8.8.17 aged 21

Matthews died 4.10.16 aged 18

Milne died 15.6.17 aged 28

Reid died 15.3.17 aged 25

Rodgers died 11.6.17 aged 21

Room died 8.8.16 aged 23

Scott died 18.4.18 aged 24

Tarbet died 19.9.17

Frank Thomas died 10.4.18

H Thomas died 5.8.17 aged 23

Thompson died 21.10.18 aged 24

Williams died 22.7.18

So far, the descendant who compiled our list and myself have visited three of the graves:

No. 681768 Bombardier Harry Jessop who was just 19 when he died on 31.7.17.  Buried in White House Cemetary, St. Jean-Les- Ypres.

Son of Mrs M Clayton (formally Jessop) of 21 Sandon Street, Faulkner Square, Liverpool.  Native of Wakefield.

No. 681785 Gunner Martin Milne who was 28 when he died on 15.6.17.  Buried in Vlamertinghe Military Cemetary.  Son of Martin and Elizabeth Milne of 25 Cardwell Street, Edge Hill, Liverpool.

No. 646402 Acting Bombardied T. Tarbet who died on 19.9.17.  Buried in Wieltje Farm Cemetary.  No other details known.

Initially, these three are of particular interest.

Any help will be gratefully received.

V/R

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Will have a dig around and see what I can do to help. 

You Sir, are a STAR!

Many thanks.

Hi Wayne,

6 hours ago, wmfinch said:

No. 681768 Bombardier Harry Jessop who was just 19 when he died on 31.7.17.  Buried in White House Cemetary, St. Jean-Les- Ypres.

Son of Mrs M Clayton (formally Jessop) of 21 Sandon Street, Faulkner Square, Liverpool.  Native of Wakefield.

Under his pre 1917 renumber, FWR has an MH 106 transcription which reads:

First Name: H

Surname: Jessop

Service Number: 712

Years Service: 4 years

Months With Field Force: 1 year 4 months

Ailment: Scabies

Date Discharged Back to Duty: 09/01/1917

Date of Transfer From Sick Convoy: 04/01/1917

Religion: Church of England

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 276th Brigade 

Other unit info: D Battery

Archive Reference: MH106/1463. Representative Medical Records of. No. 4 Stationary Hopsital at Arques

The concentration sheet in his CWGC records says that he was originally buried at C.28.a.9.5

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Harry Jessop's family is in Heywood, Lancs in 1901. Father William (Railway Clerk) an mother Maria. By 1911 his Father is the proprietor of the Sefton Arms Hotel, 1 Mill Lane, West Derby. Harry is at school. There is a probate record for him that lists Maria Jessop as  widow but think that she is a widow rather than his widow. The probate record list his address as 1 Mill Lane and shows 31/7/17 as DoD. He left £65 10s. Effects record shows war gratuity of £15 - to me suggests he joined well under age. Effects to mother Maria

PS The Sefton Arms still exists

Edited by Mark1959

Jessops war gratuity indicates he had either enlisted pre-war or very close to the start. I suspect he was possibly a pre-war enlistment where he could have enlisted from age 14.

EDIT:
Just seen Chris' post which shows he had enlisted in 1913 (4 year's service by 1917)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

SDGW List says Thomas Tarbet Died of Wounds. Born and Enlisted Greenock

Effects Record shows he died in the 2/1st Wessex Field Ambulance. Shows his mother was Mary and he had a brother James. War Gratuity £10.

There is a Thomas born 1899-1900, address Dempster St, Greenock with mother Mary, older brother James but nothing yet to tie him to this record

Edited by Mark1959

Hi,

19 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Harry Jessop's family is in Heywood, Lancs in 1901. Father William (Railway Clerk) an mother Maria. By 1911 his Father is the proprietor of the Sefton Arms Hotel,

Following Marks steer, it looks like Harry was baptised on 3rd October 1897 in the parish of Thornes, West Yorkshire. Parents - William Thomas (an inn keeper), and Maria. Residence - The Hope & Anchor Inn, Thornes Lane.

Regards

Chris

Milne

1891 - West Derby

1901 - cannot find

1911 - same address as CWGC record. Only child and working as solicitor's clerk

SDGW - KIA. Born and enlisted Liverpool

Effects to his mother Elizabeth as administrator. War Gratuity £13

Probate also to his mother at CWGC address £221 0s 7d.

Medal Rolls show first went to France 29/9/15. So 1914/15 Star, War and Victory Medals

Also show previous number of T.876.

A couple of Death Notices in Liverpool Daily Post confirms he was an only child and "affianced husband" of Elsie May of Seal, Sevenoaks, Kent. Presume that means he was engaged to her.

Edited by Mark1959

You may want to read this re Holland. No confirmation re the details as yet

https://bifhsgo.ca/upload/custom/cccs/1434470758_Corporal John William Holland 16 June 2015.pdf

Also this appears to be the unit War Diary for the whole Battery. If you do not already have it. Only £3.50.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354853

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you everyone, the information is fantastic.  I recently bought a Memorial Plaque for a John Holland, but it is probably not John William Holland's as it doesn't have his middle name on it.  At least it is a representational item for him.

We have got the War Diary, but thank you anyway.

Probably because I have been to their graves, I find myself particularly drawn to Jessop, Milne and Tarbet, plus Holland because of the Plaque.  My Grandfather, No. 199319 Bombardier Reginald Charles Evans was attesting June 1916 and formally called up for training on the 5th Jan 1917.  I estimate he joined the Battery during the 3rd Battle of Ypres as a replacement, possibly when the Battery was increased from 4 guns to 6 guns. I definitely know he was at Ypres because he told a local reporter and the info appeared in the Glos Echo when my Grandparents celebrated their Golden Wedding.. He must have known several of the deceased men, including Holland,  and possibly Jessop, Tarbet and Milne. However, I am definitely NOT sure how long his training took, so I may be wrong on the last three. Reginald was a Gun Layer if that sheds any light on the matter.

On behalf of our Group, I am seriously grateful.  I will share all info with everyone.

V/R

Wayne

• 2 months later...

I have a photo of Frank Thomas. 

Don't have access to it at the moment, will post it tomorrow.

BillyH.

As promised,  but if you message me with an e-mail address I will send (slightly) better copies.

(Christchurch Road is in Oxton, Birkenhead)

BillyH.

1995472076_gwf1.jpg.575ac955c17935890bcaf41ee990cd0e.jpg783527723_gwf2.jpg.9e7f178ea691bd093e74d50ad4b17cde.jpg

Amazing BillyH..really appreciate your help.  Will PM now.

Also thank you McLean Museum.  Where is the stone located please?

V/R

Wayne

• 3 months later...

Percy Gainham Jones was my Uncle. His life and death were never spoken about in my presence. I have been researching family history and came across his name on this forum. His brother Leslie Thomas Jones was killed in WW2. The family later moved to Eaton Road West Derby. 

• 3 months later...

Great News ... I have now purchased Gunner Samuel Archibald Bastick's death penny!  The gentleman I bought it from had purchased it at a Military Fayre in Malvern and contacted another Group member looking for information through this wonderful forum, who put him in contact with me!  Not only that, we both live in Cheltenham!  What a coincidence!

Samuel was an 'Eastender' and died of TB in a military hospital in Rubery, Birmingham in 1918. His is name appears on a Commonwealth Graves Commision Memorial at Woodgrange Park Cemetery, East Ham.  Does anyone know if he is buried in that cemetery or anywhere else please?

With grateful thanks,

Wayne 

Hello Mark,

Very much appreciated.  I totally agree that they should have their own graves, especially after all the sacrificies they made.  On the positive side, I intend to visit his grave in the near future.

All the best,

Wayne

• 2 years later...

Hello All,  
thanks to the excellent RFA West Lancs website, I have discovered  a 27th man who died whilst serving with D/276 Battery, 55th West Lancashire Div.  He was No. 681810 William Ashton and he was wounded or gassed, treated in Cambridge but died on the 28th Nov 1917 aged just 22.  He is buried in Liverpool (West Derby) Cemetary.  I’ve no idea if it was his as his was a relatively common name, but I’ve just bought a death penny which has exactly the correct details.  If anyone knows of any descendants, please contact me 👍

V/R

Wayne

Edited by wmfinch