Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC Abbreviation

mutley

Can anyone tell me what an "X Clasp"is on a medal index card. It is written in the remarks area of a card belonging to a soldier I am researching. Thanks in anticipation.

Perhaps it means 'Not entitled to Clasp' following a query relating to such entitlement?

Thanks for the suggestions. The MIC shows he was entitled to a 1914 Star as he deployed on 10/09/14 and gives the medal roll for a 1914 Star. Unfortunately I don't have these medals, so I dont know if he had or was entitled to a clasp with the medal. This is what is actually written:

X CLASP 2/2994 WS/5/800

I dont know if the X Clasp refers to the 5th Aug - 22nd Nov Clasp :unsure:

Mutley - you would normally expect to see "clasp & roses", but regardless of that, the actual medal roll for the Star should be marked with a note if the man's Aug~Nov Bar was issued, - is it ? - regards - Tom

Tom,

I don't know, the copy of the MIC is all I have. It came with the information which has started this project and as yet I have not had chance to get to the PRO to see the actual medal rolls. Hopefully I will get chance in the not too distant future. :)

I have now seen the medal roll for the 1914 star at the PRO and am still confused.

It contains the correct details, ie Number rank name and date of entry but, in the column on the far left of the page all of the other enteries have a tick his doesn't and in the column marked "Record of disposal" it has WS/5/800 with a large letter C imposed over it. The only other entries that have a large letter C against their name on that particular page and the neighbouring pages are casualties and this record was produced 6 days before my man was kia. The staff at the PRO could not explain what the ref was or what relevence the letter C has. My only thought was that it meant "taken into stock" as this is in the column header for the "Record of disposal" column ( A = Presented, B = Despatched by post and C = Taken into stock) but they couldnt give me a definite Yes or NO. I am now even more confused, can anyone offer any suggestions to the following:

Was a star issued

Would the uit have returned the Star to the Records/Medal Office when he died

Can the Army Medal Office tell me if the medals were issued

:(