Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guards Regiments service records transfer to Glasgow

MaxD

This may be old news but I have just been advised by the Grenadier Guards archivist that the service records previously held by the Guards regiments have, with the exception of the Scots Guards, been transferred to the APC at Glasgow and are in the process of cataloguing etc.

Max

News to me

Source Grenadier Guards archivist initials A O who you may know?    Direct quote - "All the other Guards Regiments have also transferred their records to the MOD central records with the exception of the Scots Guards".  The context was a Great War service record.

Max

Edited by MaxD
Quotation marks added

A bit of a blow as far as response time is concerned, perhaps?

RM

Coldstreamer's location and expertise throws doubt, happy to await his thoughts if he'd be so kind as to check at source??

Max

The Guards Museum web site states at http://www.theguardsmuseum.com/Family-Research

"Increasing numbers of people are undertaking major research to find out more about their relations who have served in The Guards regiments. Many of these people ring the museum to ask us to search the archives for details about these former soldiers. Unfortunately, we do not hold any service records on individuals. The following Foot Guards regiments no long hold any records; Grenadier, Coldstream, Irish and Welsh Guards. For the soldiers records for these regiments please go to the following link https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/

The only Foot Guards regiment to still hold their records are the Scots Guards 020 7414 3324"

While the Grenadier Guards site shows at http://grengds.com/static.php?content_id=9

"Records of Service of the Grenadier Guards are currently being transferred from Regimental Headquarters Grenadier Guards to main MoD records.

Please send your enquiry/request to: Army Disclosures, Army Personnel Centre, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX.

During the transition, there will be an unavoidable delay in response times as re-indexing and cataloguing are necessary.

If you have any questions, please telephone the Army Personnel Centre helpdesk on 0345 600 9663 who will put you through to the relevant section.

20/03/2018"

Jim

Yes, Welsh Guards gone as well, my post a while ago....

Thanks for the update. I’ve shared it with members of WW2talk.

Steve

mhanks Steve.  Rootschat also informed.

Nemo me impune lacessit  new loose translation - naebody touches mah records with impunity

Max

Edited by MaxD
spelling

19 minutes ago, MaxD said:

mhanks Steve.  Rootschat also informed.

Nemo me impune lacessit  new loose translation - naebody touches mah records with impunity

Max

So that'll be why RHQ SG took the pennies on offer and released their attestation books to Ancestry (or was it FMP?) a couple of years ago then?

Steve:D

MaxD is correct, all Guards Records are to be transferred to MOD Glasgow with the exception of the Scots Guards, these are going to Edinburgh.

Presently the records are at MOD Swadlincote being indexed and should by next month be completed.

What irks me is that originally the pre 1920 records were destined for the NA who cited lack of storage facility for their refusal to accept them, thus what could have been a free resource for visitors to the NA will now cost us £30 per inquiry.

This information was provided to me by a fellow Guardsman at Regimental HQ, Birdcage Walk,

Mehal, "ex Mick"

Slight loose end there - any info on when the SG are moving their records??

Max

21 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Slight loose end there - any info on when the SG are moving their records??

Max

I wonder if we might hope that the SG are trying to deposit their pre 1920 records with NRS, Edinburgh?

RM

are to be or have gone? this has been in the offing for a while now

Ill phone my contact Tuesday for a definitive answer

As far as the Grenadier Guards is concerned - gone.  Given in an answer a couple of weeks ago to a request for records.

Max

I'll hold out hope that the SG records are going to NRS too.

No idea regarding if the SG records are in Edinburgh already, nor if anything is planned for the pre 1920 records, I was informed the IG and WG went first the GG are in the final stages, but there had been some issues with the CG records.

I hid them :lol:

Coldstream records are still at RHQ