Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Rugby Team from Abbey Wood Camp

Red Rose

Please see attached a photo of a rugby team of Australians who were at the convalescent centre at Abbey Wood camp in March 1916.

This is the team that played the 2nd 10th Manchester regiment on 25.03.1916.

I would appreciated it if anyone had anyone could supply information regarding the players.

I believe one of them, Lance Corporal Bosworth, was killed in action.

Thanks. 

Aus rugby Abbey Wood.jpg

I presume from the fact that there are 15 players kitted out, we're talking Union here, although the football style shirts, and fixture against the manchester Regiment instill just a little doubt.

I don't think any of the above were past or future Union internationals.

There were lots of wartime rugby matches involving the antipodeans, some are mentioned here:

http://www.rugbyaustralia.com.au/anzac/RugbyattheFront.aspx

It's definitely Rugby Union despite the shirts. The Australians were a strong side, despite all being convalescents from Gallipoli. However they played a 7 man scrummage formation which was frowned upon by English purists, although within the rules.. One of the wing forwards was loose and it was him who put the ball in at the scrum, this practise was outlawed in the 1930s.  Contemporary reports indicate some of the players were familiar to journalists although there is no mention of them being internationals.

Tony

Just to confirm here's them playing the New Zealanders at Abbey Wood in February 1916

image.png.81c053251d5be9efdffcbf2ec566e49f.png

1 hour ago, ajsmith said:

It's definitely Rugby Union despite the shirts. The Australians were a strong side, despite all being convalescents from Gallipoli. However they played a 7 man scrummage formation which was frowned upon by English purists, although within the rules.. One of the wing forwards was loose and it was him who put the ball in at the scrum, this practise was outlawed in the 1930s.  Contemporary reports indicate some of the players were familiar to journalists although there is no mention of them being internationals.

Tony

Thanks Tony, and I didn't know that Australia also used the 2-3-2 system so beloved by NZ in the early years.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes it was rugby union, although the lads in the 2nd 10th Manchesters  included many players from the Oldham Northern Union (Rugby League) club.

I am researching for a book reviewing Oldham RLFC during the 1914-18 period and any information regarding the rugby antics of the players in the forces is most interesting.

The Oldham club lost 12 players in the war who had pulled on the jersey, some of which had retired from the game or moved on but they were all  once Oldham players nevertheless and will be so acknowledged in the book, including two who played for the Manchesters in the match against the Aussies from Abbey Wood.