Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Scout ID. Signature help please.

GWF1967

Hi, 

Can anyone help with a surname for Cpl  ****by please.

Scan_20180501.jpg

Scan_20180501 (2).jpg

• Admin

Clixby/Clisby? 

Cpl. Ellenby, same last name as to who it is address to, since the postcard says:

Kindest Regards

my friend Pte Lord

and best(?) Love from

your loving husband

Edited by Keith Brannen

The placename is GRASBY, near Caistor in Lincolnshire.

5 hours ago, Keith Brannen said:

Cpl. Ellenby, same last name as to who it is address to, since the postcard says:

Kindest Regards

my friend Pte Lord

and best(?) Love from

your loving husband

FreeBMD does not throw up any surnames of that spelling but does with Ellerby and its predominant in north Lincs so my guess would be Cpl Ellerby

Den

of course that would mean no initial for the Cpl, but it would appear there is a gap between the E and the two ll,s on both surnames, just my opinion could be some totally different

Edited by TTracer44

Definitely 'Cpl Ellerby' for me.

BillyH.

Looking at ELLERBY males of military age in that part of Lincs in the 1911 census throws up ...

1. EDWARD A ELLERBY

Born in LAMBCROFT, near KELSTERN about 15 miles SE of Grasby in ~1894

1911 census farm labourer aged 17 living with parents Arthur and Mary Ann in THORESWAY, about 6 miles NW of Lambcroft & 7 miles SE of Grasby.

Marriage to ANNE E. HORNSEY registered in Grimsby RD in Q3 1916 (Grimsby RD is immediately N of Caistor RD and Grimsby is the nearest large settlement to Caistor)

[1911 census - Hornsey, Anne Elizabeth, 17 yrs, domestic houseworker, living with widowed mother (dressmaker) and 6 siblings in Grasby]

[NB It was usual for a wife to be addressed using the initial of her husband.]

MIC for 28104 ELLERBY, Corporal Edward A, East Yorkshire Regt.  BW&VM entitlement only, no Star (v. Pte Lord's overseas chevrons)

Medal roll has him in 11/E Yorks.

11/E Yorks was an early Pals battalion formed in Sep 1914.  They went out in Dec 1915, but to Egypt, moving to the Western Front in March 1916, so he must have joined them in the field.

No listing in CWGC, so appears to have survived.

E Yorks recruiting grounds technically stopped at the Humber, but the proximity of this part of Lincs certainly makes the E Yorks plausible and anyway after MSA all bets were off.

His wife's widowed mother being in Grasby counts strongly in his favour.

WRT the other man in the photo, there are 12 Lords in the E Yorks ...

• 11/619 Ernest Lord was in 11/E Yorks.   He went out on 23 Dec 1915, so he'd be eligible for three chevrons after Dec 1917.
  • 11/1074 Frank Lord was in 11/E Yorks, but both went out and ended the war as a Sergeant.  Can probably rule him out
  • 1093 (probably in fact 11/1093) Sydney Lord, was in 11/E Yorks, and appears to have gone out with them to Egypt in Dec 1915, but was transferred as 202133 to 9/Royal Scots
  • 2891, later 59237, George William Lord was in 1/4th E Yorks
  • 30170 L/Cpl Harvey Ingham Lord was KiA with 10/E Yorks on 28 Jun 1918.  He had formerly been with 19/Manchesters.
  • 51606 Henry J Lord was KiA 05 Oct 1918 with 1/E Yorks
  • 50604 Henry Lord ended the war with 1/E Yorks with prevous service in the RE and the 22/Northumberland Fusiliers
  • 52048 Samuel Lord served in 7/E Yorks and was discharged with a SWB on 19 Sep 1919 aged 38 yrs
  • 59433 Tom Lord was briefly in the E Yorks enlisting on 21 May 1919 but was discharged with a SWB on 26 Sep 1919 aged 19 yrs.  Cannot be our man.
  • 201802 George William Lord enlisted in the E Yorks on 18 Nov 1915 but was discharged with a SWB on 28 Aug 1917 having never gone overseas.  Cannot be our man.
  • 2 other Lords only got the BWM with 2/4th E Yorks whose overseas service was in Bermuda from Nov 1916, so 3 overseas chevrons would date this to post Nov 1918.  Unlikely to be our man

11/619 Ernest Lord seems the best candidate.

2. HARRY ELLERBY

Younger brother of #1 above.

Born in SWALLOW, about 5 miles E of Grasby in ~1898

1911 census farm lad aged 13yrs, rest as for brother above

Marriage to ADA SHARRATT registered in Glanford Brigg RD in Q4 1917 (Glanford Brigg RD is to the NW of Caistor RD and includes the town of Scunthorpe)

[1911 census - Sharratt, Ada, 15 yrs, living with parents in John Street, Scunthorpe (father a steel worker from Staffs.)]

Two possible MIC's ...

• 3/21302 ELLERBY, Pte Harry H, Lincolnshire Regt, later Pte 40481 Norfolk Regt, no Star entitlement, did not end war as Corporal.
  • 1554 ELLERBY, Pte Harry, Lincolnshire Yeomanry, later 149946 Machine Gun Corps, Star 21 Nov 1915 but Theatre Code 3 (Egypt), did not end war as Cpl.

Confident we can rule out this third MIC ...

• 48936 ELLERBY, Battery SM Harry, Royal Field Artillery, Commissioned, KiA 11 Sep 1918, Widow's address in Leeds

No listing in CWGC for either of the first two, so appear to have survived.

There are 20 Lords in the Lincs Regt.  None in the Lincs Yeomanry, but Ancestry's indexer could well have transcribed that strangely.  I did not check MGC and Norfolks.

One suspects the Egypt theatre code counts against 1554 ELLERBY. Harry

I suspect there are more candidates as I have only followed through on these two.  Something to get teeth into though eh?

Mark

Edited by MBrockway
Found a twelth Lord

If the Surname is correct Edward A Ellerby looks like a good candidate,  

good one Mark.

Den

On 5/2/2018 at 22:00, Michelle Young said:

Clixby/Clisby? 

Thanks.  Clisby was suggested by my better half; Clixby is a small hamlet near Grasby!

18 hours ago, MBrockway said:

The placename is GRASBY, near Caistor in Lincolnshire.

Thank you. I'd settled on Grasby after trying a couple of variations.

14 hours ago, TTracer44 said:

FreeBMD does not throw up any surnames of that spelling but does with Ellerby and its predominant in north Lincs so my guess would be Cpl Ellerby

Den

of course that would mean no initial for the Cpl, but it would appear there is a gap between the E and the two ll,s on both surnames, just my opinion could be some totally different

I read Cpl Ellerby too, no initial for the Cpl; his initial given for the wife.

9 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Looking at ELLERBY males of military age in that part of Lincs in the 1911 census throws up ...

1. EDWARD A ELLERBY

Born in LAMBCROFT, near KELSTERN about 15 miles SE of Grasby in ~1894

1911 census farm labourer aged 17 living with parents Arthur and Mary Ann in THORESWAY, about 6 miles NW of Lambcroft & 7 miles SE of Grasby.

Marriage to ANNE E. HORNSEY registered in Grimsby RD in Q3 1916 (Grimsby RD is immediately N of Caistor RD and Grimsby is the nearest large settlement to Caistor)

[1911 census - Hornsey, Anne Elizabeth, 17 yrs, domestic houseworker, living with widowed mother (dressmaker) and 6 siblings in Grasby]

[NB It was usual for a wife to be addressed using the initial of her husband.]

MIC for 28104 ELLERBY, Corporal Edward A, East Yorkshire Regt.  BW&VM entitlement only, no Star (v. Pte Lord's overseas chevrons)

Medal roll has him in 11/E Yorks.

11/E Yorks was an early Pals battalion formed in Sep 1914.  They went out in Dec 1915, but to Egypt, moving to the Western Front in March 1916, so he must have joined them in the field.

E Yorks recruiting grounds technically stopped at the Humber, but the proximity of this part of Lincs certainly makes the E Yorks plausible and anyway after MSA all bets were off.

His wife's widowed mother being in Grasby counts strongly in his favour.

WRT the other man in the photo, there are 12 Lords in the E Yorks ...

• 11/619 Ernest Lord was in 11/E Yorks.   He went out on 23 Dec 1915, so he'd be eligible for three chevrons after Dec 1917 - seems the best candidate.

Mark

Many thanks Mark, I dug up the same man. The additional information you've provided is greatly appreciated. 

The shoulder title looks a good fit for E.Yorks as well.

Scan_20180501 (3).jpg

Have you looked for any family trees on Ancestry, could throw up something.

Den

7 hours ago, TTracer44 said:

Have you looked for any family trees on Ancestry, could throw up something.

Den

Not had a chance yet Den; work keeps getting in the way!