Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CWGC Long Service and Good Conduct Medals Database

laughton

This relates to the case of the man of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Unknown with a Long Service Ribbon.

I downloaded the CWGC information from their database and put it on an Excel Spreadsheet, with coloured tabs sorting them by country of burial or memorial.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7mval86z854a3a1/All_Long_Service_and_Good_Conduct_Medal_CWGC_site.xlsx

I can tell right from the beginning that the CWGC list is not correct complete, as when I did the manual search of the A&SH man there was  both Private Dickenson and Company Serjeant Major Moss. CSM Moss does not appear on the CWGC database as a LSGCM holder.

I suspect such details as being a holder of the LSGC Medal would only appear if the information was supplied to the CWGC by the family.

2 hours ago, charlie2 said:

I suspect such details as being a holder of the LSGC Medal would only appear if the information was supplied to the CWGC by the family.

That's how I understand it as well.

Craig

On 5/2/2018 at 21:34, ss002d6252 said:

That's how I understand it as well.

Craig

I would have thought that it might have come from his service record. Where the deceased is quoted as having been awarded an MM or DCM that would surely have come from his service record? I have also seen mention sometimes of "China 1900" and "Boer War" which presumably came from his medal entitlement rather than relied on a family member declaring it?

I have no idea really, but it seems odd that CWGC would have taken additional information about medal entitlement "on trust" from the family. If Walter Tull's family had only mentioned that he had an MC it might have saved a lot of trouble.

Mike

Edited by Medaler

Hi All

I have included an entry examining the surviving sources of C.W.G.C. WW1 Casualty Archive 'Honours' information on my website . The link to the Glossary page is here https://warrecordsrevealed.com/graves-registration-commission-directorate-of-graves-registration-enquiries-i-w-g-c-record-glossary/

The entry is listed under 'Honours'.

Best

Justin

Thank you Justin! That forced a re-read of your  list and also answered the question about the "Ru" series. The example for the "X/Y" series was fascinating!! :D

Thanks Richard, I hope that the information helps. I also didn't know that you could do smileys on here until now:)

Edited by Justinth

On 05/05/2018 at 00:49, Medaler said:

I have no idea really, but it seems odd that CWGC would have taken additional information about medal entitlement "on trust" from the family. If Walter Tull's family had only mentioned that he had an MC it might have saved a lot of trouble.

You sir, are a very bold man indeed!