Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Badge identification help

bmbab

I'm hoping someone may be able to help.  I'm trying to identify the unit of the man at the back of this photo.  I believe from a later photo that he served in the Royal Field Artillery, but the cap badge on this photo doesn't look like what I'd expected.  I'd also like to know what the shoulder badge might be.  Could this be a photo from his training?  Any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks

photo.jpg

Both men are wearing spurs, so a mounted horse regiment, RHA?

Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons Yeomanry (Territorial Force) I believe.  The shoulder title has a T and Y above the “Yorkshire Dragoon’s” designation.

The Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons was a yeomanry regiment of the British Army in existence from 1794 to 1956.

You can read about the regiment at this link, but note the difference between the First and Second Line units of the regiment during WW1:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Own_Yorkshire_Dragoons

0abhtythsdfy6768599_5.jpg

YORKS DRAGOONS.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 minutes ago, PhilB said:

And the trousers are more indicative of cavalry?

Puttee tapes tied at the ankle Phil, so yes.

3 hours ago, bmbab said:

I'm hoping someone may be able to help.  I'm trying to identify the unit of the man at the back of this photo.  I believe from a later photo that he served in the Royal Field Artillery, but the cap badge on this photo doesn't look like what I'd expected.  I'd also like to know what the shoulder badge might be.  Could this be a photo from his training?  Any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks

photo.jpg

Hello,

Is this chap a relative? I'm interested in the Yorkshire Dragoons, my G Grandfather was an Officer in that Regiment. 

Do you have any other photos or just this one?

Chris

Many thanks for all that information so quickly.  This man is the relative of a friend and she does have other photos although those clearly have him in the Royal Field Artillery (I think) and I have found a medal index card for him in the RFA.  His service record still survives and that shows no mention that I can see of the Yorkshire Dragoons, but the photos of the badges that Frogsmile posted look a perfect match.  Was it possible that he started in the Yorkshire Dragoons but no record was made.  I think his RFA picture was taken in 1918 because of the long service stripes and I think he has a gun layers badge on his left arm.

Thanks again for all the help - regards

Dalby.jpg

The medal index cards only relate to overseas service, so perhaps his time in the Territorial QOYD was prior to going overseas with the RFA? As to date, the two overseas service chevrons on his right sleeve support your 1918 date, as they were issued in that year.

Many many thanks for all the help.  I wonder if I've now untangled this and if it is a family mis-identification.  I was told that the man on the back of the motorcyle and the man in artillery uniform were the same man, and I think there is a strong facial resemblance.  BUT, I have just checked the record of his (the artillery man's) brother and have found that he served in the York and Lanc Regiment having previously served in the 3/1st Yorkshire Dragoons!  I think it might therefore be that the two brothers are very closely alike and that the family may have thought that these were two photos of the same man, rather than two photos of brothers (close relatives died a few years ago and these photos were passed down with little identification).

Researching things like this make it so fascinating, and this forum is a gold mine for helping each other - thanks again

Looking at the triangle on his arm, it is possible he served in the 29th Division, who used a large red triangle as their sign and seemed pretty good at everyone wearing it.

Just a thought.

Perfect Steven.  I had missed the triangle but his service record puts him in 17 Bde RFA for most of the war and this was indeed in 29th Division.

Thanks

1 hour ago, bmbab said:

Many many thanks for all the help.  I wonder if I've now untangled this and if it is a family mis-identification.  I was told that the man on the back of the motorcyle and the man in artillery uniform were the same man, and I think there is a strong facial resemblance.  BUT, I have just checked the record of his (the artillery man's) brother and have found that he served in the York and Lanc Regiment having previously served in the 3/1st Yorkshire Dragoons!  I think it might therefore be that the two brothers are very closely alike and that the family may have thought that these were two photos of the same man, rather than two photos of brothers (close relatives died a few years ago and these photos were passed down with little identification).

Researching things like this make it so fascinating, and this forum is a gold mine for helping each other - thanks again

I think that you have probably sleuthed the correct answer that they are brothers with a natural family resemblance.  After 1916 and the (compulsory) Military Service Act, the 2nd and 3rd Line TF unit’s we’re gradually combed out of fit men on home service to find replacements for the infantry and artillery in the overseas theatres of war.

Edited by FROGSMILE