Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Huntley Hogg 39044 enlisted 11/11/14

Fuller

Help please, not even sure I am in the right spot. I am looking for information on William Huntley Hogg. 39044, he enlisted 11/11/14. Served 32nd machine gun, 11th division . Elexandria, Egypt and France. My 92 year old father would like to find out about his medals.

can some point me in the right direction 

Welcome.

Always worth starting with a look at the guides at researching a soldier at this link

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/

it will help you enormously.

can we assume you have seen his service papers - they are on, for instance, Ancestry.

Edited by Mark1959

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

Welcome.

Always worth starting with a look at the guides at researching a soldier at this link

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/

it will help you enormously.

can we assume you have seen his service papers - they are on, for instance, Ancestry.

Thanks Mark,  no I only have what my father can remember, all sites seem to cost, I can afford a little but not every site. So after a site that will give me as much as possible. 

Ancestry have about 50 pages of his papers. Much is damaged by the fire in the blitz but it is possible to put together a pretty complete history. Ancestry has the advantage of being able to examine War Diaries. So his service in the Middle East seems to have been with 9th Battalion West Yorks. He seems to have served in the later part of the Gallipoli campaign, then went to Mudros. May have stopped in Egypt. Eventually moves to France. Gets puts on reserve to work on shipbuilding from March 1918 and gets fully discharged in 1919

Often Ancestry often do free periods. Another approach is just sign up for a month. Get all you want and then cancel the subscription

There is too much to summarise in the forum. 

Re medals. Due to his Middle East service (in Gallipoli from 2/11/15) he gets the 1914/15 Star plus the usual British War and Victory Medals. The trio know as "pip, squeak and wilfred".

If you need any direct links to records  once you have paid your sub let us know. Be careful; there is another William Hogg with a very similar number who served with the Royal Scots.